Cellulose Sulfuric Acid Catalyzed Esterification of Biodiesel Derived Raw Glycerol to Medium Chain Triglyceride: The Dual Advantage
- 473 Downloads
Biodiesel derived raw glycerol represent a copious and inexpensive source which can be used as raw material for a variety of value added products such as 1,3-propanediol, poly hydroxyalkanoate, hydrogen, epichlorohydrin and also lactic acid. So, this work was investigated to study chemical conversion of biodiesel derived raw glycerol and lauric acid to triglycerides of lauric acid via esterification reaction over cellulose sulfuric acid as an efficient, biodegradable and recyclable solid acid catalyst. Synthesized catalyst was characterized by fourier transform infra-red spectroscopy (FT-IR) as well as BET surface area analysis. While, synthesized triglyceride of lauric acid was fittingly characterized by FT-IR as well as 1H and 13C Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopic techniques.
KeywordsGlycerol Cellulose sulfuric acid (CSA) Epichlorohydrin Biodiesel Esterification
The authors are very much thankful to the Department of Applied Chemistry, Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology (SVNIT), Surat for providing laboratory facilities and financial support for the course of this work. For characterization, we are thankful to Mr. Avtar Singh, SAIF, Punjab University, Chandigarh and Mr. M. H. Malani as well as Mr. M. Rathod from Department of Applied Chemistry, Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology (SVNIT), Surat, India are gratefully acknowledged.
- 7.Hutnan M, Kolesarova N, Bodık I, Spalkova V, Lazor M (2009) In: Proceedings of 36th international conference of slovak society of chemical engineering, vol 2, p 220Google Scholar
- 9.Emil A, Zahira Y, Siti KK, Manal I, Jumat S (2009) Eur J Sci Res 29:396Google Scholar
- 11.Dholakiya BZ (2012) Arch Appl Sci Res 4:551Google Scholar
- 16.Lisboa FS, Gardolinski JEFC, Cordeiro CS, Wypych F (2013) J Braz Chem Soc 23:46Google Scholar
- 17.Lisboa FS, Silva FR, Ramos LP, Wypych F (2013) Catal Lett 14:230Google Scholar
- 18.Cordeiro CS, Silva FR, Marangoni R, Wypych F, Ramos LP (2012) Catal Lett 143:1235Google Scholar
- 23.Zacharie B, Jean-Simon D, Christopher P (2012) WO Patent: WO2013126990A1Google Scholar
- 24.Christie W (1993) Adv Lipid Methodol 2:69Google Scholar