Report of the clinical donor case workshop of the European Association of Tissue Banks Annual Congress 2013
- 131 Downloads
The European Association of Tissue Banks (EATB) Donor Case Workshop is a forum held within the program of the EATB Annual Congress. The workshop offers an opportunity to discuss and evaluate approaches taken to challenging donor selection and donation ethics, and it strengthens networking between tissue banking professionals. The workshops actively engage participants from a wide array of international expertise, in an informal, secure and enjoyable setting in which learning from peers and finding potential solutions for submitted cases are facilitated. This report reflects some of the discussion at the Donor Case Workshop during the EATB Annual Congress in Brussels in 2013. The presented cases demonstrate that the findings, their interpretation, the resulting actions and preventive measures in the different tissue facilities are not always predictable. The varied responses from participants and lack of consensus corroborate this and clearly indicate that operating procedures do not comprehensively cover or prepare for all eventualities. For many of the issues raised there is no relevant information in the published literature. By publication of a summary of the discussions we hope to reach a wider audience, to provide information gathered at the workshop and to stimulate individuals and institutions to undertake further literature reviews or to undertake research in order to gather evidence concerning the discussed topics.
KeywordsTissue donor selection Tissue donor suitability Disease transmission Tissue transplantation
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Beele H, Van Wijk M, Parker R, Sánchez-Ibáňez J, Brubaker S, Wulff B, Richters C, Cox M, Warwick RM, Eastlund T (2013) Report of the clinical donor case workshop of the European Association of Tissue Banks annual meeting 2012. Cell Tissue Bank 14:561–570. doi: 10.1007/s10561-013-9400-2 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- European Eye Bank Association (2013a) Minimum medical standards. http://www.europeaneyebanks.org/downloads/EEBA%20Minimum%20Medical%20Standards%20Rev%201%20-%202013Agreed.pdf. Accessed 1 Dec 2014
- European Eye Bank Association (2013b) Technical guidelines for ocular tissue. http://www.europeaneyebanks.org/downloads/Technical%20Guidelines%20Rev6_Feb2013.pdf. Accessed 1 Dec 2014
- Eye Bank Association of America (2011) Medical standards. http://www.restoresight.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Medical-Standards-October-2011.pdf. Accessed 1 Dec 2014
- Snyder PJ (2014) Causes, presentation, and evaluation of sellar masses. UpToDate. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/causes-presentation-and-evaluation-of-sellar-masses?source=search_result&search=sellar+mass&selectedTitle=1~13. Accessed 1 Dec 2014
- Van Wijk MJ, Poniatowski S, Fehily D, Brubaker SA, Eastlund T, Kurz J, Parker R, Beele H, Herson MR, Monig HJ, Chandrasekar A, Holovská V, Wysocka-Wycisk A, Brown MS, Winstanley E, Sánchez-Ibáňez J, Warwick RM (2012) Results of the clinical donor case and quality system case workshops of the European Association of Tissue Banks annual meeting 2009. Cell Tissue Bank 13:191–202. doi: 10.1007/s10561-011-9263-3 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Weissman BA, Yeung KK (2013) Keratoconus. eMedicine. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1194693-overview#a0101. Accessed 1 Dec 2014