Echocardiographic and hemodynamic assessment for predicting early clinical events in severe acute mitral regurgitation
The diagnostic role of echocardiographic and hemodynamic assessment in acute mitral regurgitation (AMR) remains unclear. The central question of this study was to determine if echocardiographic and hemodynamic parameters can predict early clinical events in AMR. AMR was induced by percutaneously severing the mitral valve chordae tendineae in 39 Yorkshire pigs. Immediately after AMR induction, echocardiographic and hemodynamic exams were performed, and compared between those who died and those who survived within 30-days of the procedure. Echocardiographic indices of MR severity as well as the left atrial pressure showed significant differences between survivors and non-survivors in univariate analysis. Multi-variate logistic regression analysis revealed that echocardiography-derived regurgitant fraction and vena contracta as well as mean left atrial pressure could be used to segment the cohort into survivors and non-survivors. Our study demonstrated, for the first time, that echocardiographic and hemodynamic assessment of AMR provides predictive information on early clinical events in a clinically relevant animal model of AMR.
KeywordsAcute heart failure MR Pig model
This study was supported by NIH P50 HL112324, R01 HL119046, R01 HL117505, R01HL128099, R01 HL129814, R01HL131404, & R43HL108581 (R. J. H.), and a Transatlantic Leducq Foundation grant. We would like to acknowledge the Gene Therapy Resource Program (GTRP) of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health. K. I. is supported by a Grant from American Heart Association 17SDG33410873. G. B. was supported by the French Federation of Cardiology.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
- 3.Shiraishi I, Nishimura K, Sakaguchi H, Abe T, Kitano M, Kurosaki K, Kato H, Nakanishi T, Yamagishi H, Sagawa K, Ikeda Y, Morisaki T, Hoashi T, Kagisaki K, Ichikawa H (2014) Acute rupture of chordae tendineae of the mitral valve in infants: a nationwide survey in Japan exploring a new syndrome. Circulation 130(13):1053–1061. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.114.008592 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Nishimura RA, Otto CM, Bonow RO, Carabello BA, Erwin JP 3rd, Guyton RA, O’Gara PT, Ruiz CE, Skubas NJ, Sorajja P, Sundt TM 3rd, Thomas JD, Members AATF (2014) 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation 129(23):e521–e643. doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000031 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Kawase Y, Ly HQ, Prunier F, Lebeche D, Shi Y, Jin H, Hadri L, Yoneyama R, Hoshino K, Takewa Y, Sakata S, Peluso R, Zsebo K, Gwathmey JK, Tardif JC, Tanguay JF, Hajjar RJ (2008) Reversal of cardiac dysfunction after long-term expression of SERCA2a by gene transfer in a pre-clinical model of heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 51(11):1112–1119. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2007.12.014 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Zoghbi WA, Enriquez-Sarano M, Foster E, Grayburn PA, Kraft CD, Levine RA, Nihoyannopoulos P, Otto CM, Quinones MA, Rakowski H, Stewart WJ, Waggoner A, Weissman NJ (2003) Recommendations for evaluation of the severity of native valvular regurgitation with two-dimensional and Doppler echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 16:777–802. doi: 10.1016/S0894-7317(03)00335-3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Lorusso R, Gelsomino S, De Cicco G, Beghi C, Russo C, De Bonis M, Colli A, Sala A (2008) Mitral valve surgery in emergency for severe acute regurgitation: analysis of postoperative results from a multicentre study. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 33(4):573–582. doi: 10.1016/j.ejcts.2007.12.050 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Nagy AI, Venkatesharan AI, Merkely B, Winter R, Barooah B, Dash PK, Manouras AI (2014) The pulmonary capillary wedge pressure accurately reflects both normal and elevated left atrial pressure. Eur Heart J 35:1184–1184Google Scholar
- 9.Sanfilippo F, Johnson C, Bellavia D, Morsolini M, Romano G, Santonocito C, Centineo L, Pastore F, Pilato M, Arcadipane A (2017) Mitral regurgitation grading in the operating room: a systematic review and meta-analysis comparing preoperative and intraoperative assessments during cardiac surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. doi: 10.1053/j.jvca.2017.02.046 Google Scholar