Feasibility of measurements of valve dimensions in en-face-3D transesophageal echocardiography
- 100 Downloads
Newest 3D software allows measurements directly in the en-face-3D TEE mode. Aim of the study was to ascertain whether measurements performed in the en-face-3D TEE mode are comparable with conventional measurement methods based on 2D TEE and 3D using the multiple plane reconstruction mode with the Qlab® software. En-face-3D TEE is used more frequently in daily clinical routine during cardiac operations. So far measurements could only be done based on 2D images or with the use of multi planar reconstruction mode with additional software. Measurement directly in the 3D image (en-face-3D TEE) would make measurements faster and easier to use in clinical practice. After approval by the local ethic committee and written informed consent from the patients additionally to a comprehensive perioperative 2D TEE examination a real time (RT) 3D zoom- dataset was recorded. Routine measurements of the length of anterior and posterior mitral valve leaflets as well as mitral valve and aortic valve areas were performed in en-face-3D TEE, multiplanar reconstruction mode using Qlab®-software (Philips, Netherlands) and 2D TEE standard views. Twenty nine patients with a mean age of 67 years undergoing elective cardiac surgery/interventions were enrolled in this study. Direct measurements in en-face-3D TEE mode lead to non significant underestimation of all parameters as compared to Qlab® and 2D TEE measurements. Measurements in en-face-3D TEE are feasible but lead to non significant underestimation compared to measurements performed with Qlab® or in 2D TEE views.
KeywordsEn-face-3D TEE RT 3D TEE 2D TEE Heart valve disease Intraoperative 3D imaging
Anterior mitral leaflet
Posterior mitral leaflet
Aortic valve area
Mitral valve area
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
After approval by the local ethics committee and written informed consent was received, 29 patients undergoing elective cardiac surgery and interventional cardiac procedures were enrolled in this study. This study has been performed in accordance with the ethical standards laid down in the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments.
- 2.Lang RM, Badano LP, Tsang W, Adams DH, Agricola E, Buck T, Faletra FF, Franke A, Hung J, de Isla LP, Kamp O, Kasprzak JD, Lancellotti P, Marwick TH, McCulloch ML, Monaghan MJ, Nihoyannopoulos P, Pandian NG, Pellikka PA, Pepi M, Roberson DA, Shernan SK, Shirali GS, Sugeng L, Ten Cate FJ, Vannan MA, Zamorano JL, Zoghbi WA, American Society of E, European Association of E (2012) EAE/ASE recommendations for image acquisition and display using three-dimensional echocardiography. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 13(1):1–46. doi: 10.1093/ehjci/jer316 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Zamorano J, Cordeiro P, Sugeng L, Perez de Isla L, Weinert L, Macaya C, Rodriguez E, Lang RM (2004) Real-time three-dimensional echocardiography for rheumatic mitral valve stenosis evaluation: an accurate and novel approach. J Am Coll Cardiol 43(11):2091–2096. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2004.01.046 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Matsumura Y, Fukuda S, Tran H, Greenberg NL, Agler DA, Wada N, Toyono M, Thomas JD, Shiota T (2008) Geometry of the proximal isovelocity surface area in mitral regurgitation by 3-dimensional color Doppler echocardiography: difference between functional mitral regurgitation and prolapse regurgitation. Am Heart J 155(2):231–238. doi: 10.1016/j.ahj.2007.09.002 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Grewal J, Mankad S, Freeman WK, Click RL, Suri RM, Abel MD, Oh JK, Pellikka PA, Nesbitt GC, Syed I, Mulvagh SL, Miller FA (2009) Real-time three-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography in the intraoperative assessment of mitral valve disease. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 22(1):34–41. doi: 10.1016/j.echo.2008.11.008 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Shanewise JS, Cheung AT, Aronson S, Stewart WJ, Weiss RL, Mark JB, Savage RM, Sears-Rogan P, Mathew JP, Quinones MA, Cahalan MK, Savino JS (1999) ASE/SCA guidelines for performing a comprehensive intraoperative multiplane transesophageal echocardiography examination: recommendations of the American Society of Echocardiography Council for Intraoperative Echocardiography and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists Task Force for Certification in Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography. Anesth Analg 89(4):870–884CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Feneck R, Kneeshaw J, Fox K, Bettex D, Erb J, Flaschkampf F, Guarracino F, Ranucci M, Seeberger M, Sloth E, Tschernich H, Wouters P, Zamorano J (2010) Recommendations for reporting perioperative transoesophageal echo studies. Eur J Echocardiogr 11(5):387–393. doi: 10.1093/ejechocard/jeq043 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Grewal J, Suri R, Mankad S, Tanaka A, Mahoney DW, Schaff HV, Miller FA, Enriquez-Sarano M (2010) Mitral annular dynamics in myxomatous valve disease: new insights with real-time 3-dimensional echocardiography. Circulation 121(12):1423–1431. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.901181 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Baumgartner H, Hung J, Bermejo J, Chambers JB, Evangelista A, Griffin BP, Iung B, Otto CM, Pellikka PA, Quinones M (2009) Echocardiographic assessment of valve stenosis: EAE/ASE recommendations for clinical practice. Eur J Echocardiogr 10(1):1–25. doi: 10.1093/ejechocard/jen303 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Noack T, Mukherjee C, Kiefer P, Emrich F, Vollroth M, Ionasec RI, Voigt I, Houle H, Ender J, Misfeld M, Mohr FW, Seeburger J (2015) Four-dimensional modelling of the mitral valve by real-time 3D transoesophageal echocardiography: proof of concept. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 20(2):200–208. doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivu357 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Zamorano JL, Badano LP, Bruce C, Chan KL, Goncalves A, Hahn RT, Keane MG, La Canna G, Monaghan MJ, Nihoyannopoulos P, Silvestry FE, Vanoverschelde JL, Gillam LD (2011) EAE/ASE recommendations for the use of echocardiography in new transcatheter interventions for valvular heart disease. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 24(9):937–965. doi: 10.1016/j.echo.2011.07.003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Lang RM, Badano LP, Tsang W, Adams DH, Agricola E, Buck T, Faletra FF, Franke A, Hung J, de Isla LP, Kamp O, Kasprzak JD, Lancellotti P, Marwick TH, McCulloch ML, Monaghan MJ, Nihoyannopoulos P, Pandian NG, Pellikka PA, Pepi M, Roberson DA, Shernan SK, Shirali GS, Sugeng L, Ten Cate FJ, Vannan MA, Zamorano JL, Zoghbi WA, American Society of E, European Association of E (2012) EAE/ASE recommendations for image acquisition and display using three-dimensional echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 25(1):3–46. doi: 10.1016/j.echo.2011.11.010 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar