The Nature, Measurement and Nomological Network of Environmentally Specific Transformational Leadership
- 109 Downloads
Previous research reveals that when leaders enact environmentally specific transformational leadership, they positively affect corporate environmental responsibility. While this research provides important insights into how leaders create and shape corporate environmental responsibility, confidence in the validity of these findings is limited because the psychometric properties of the measurement of environmentally specific transformational leadership has not yet been assessed. The goal of the current research was to develop and validate a measure of environmentally specific transformational leadership. To this end, four studies were conducted, which together produced a reliable and valid scale from which future research can stem. Theoretical and practical limitations are discussed.
KeywordsCorporate environmental responsibility Environmental leadership Scale validation Transformational leadership
Funding was provided by Social Science and Humanities Research Board Seed Research Grant. Awarded by Western Strategic Support for SSHRC Success, Research Development and Services, Western University.
- Barling, J., Christie, A., & Hoption, C. (2010). Leadership. In S. Zedeck (Ed.), Handbook of industrial and organizational psychology. Washington, DC: APA Books.Google Scholar
- Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (2000). MLQ multifactor leadership questionnaire. Redwood City: Mind Garden.Google Scholar
- Bass, B. M., & Riggio, R. E. (2006). Transformational Leadership (2nd ed.). NJ: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- DeVellis, R. F. (2003). Scale development: Theory and applications (2nd ed.). CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Eagly, A. H., Wood, W., & Diekman, A. B. (2000). Social role theory of sex differences and similarities: A current appraisal. In T. Eckes & H. M. Trautner (Eds.), The developmental social psychology of gender (pp. 123–174). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Morton, K. L., Barling, J., Rhodes, R. E., Mâsse, L. C., Zumbo, B. D., & Beauchamp, M. R. (2011). The application of transformational leadership theory to parenting: Questionnaire development and implications for adolescent self-regulatory efficacy and life satisfaction. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 33, 688–709.CrossRefGoogle Scholar