Art and Artifice in Public Apologies
- 824 Downloads
The purpose of this article is threefold: to examine the elements of an artful apology; to sequence them in a comprehensive configuration; and to use the taxonomy for assessing the effect of public apologies. The model identifies seven sequential components of an apology: revelation, recognition, responsiveness, responsibility, remorse, restitution, and reform. Also included in the model are four deflective stratagems: dissociation, diminution, dispersion, and detachment. Analysis focuses on actual offense situations rather than artificial simulated settings. Specifically, the study examines whether seven well-publicized apologies conform to the proposed construct. These public figures include Alec Baldwin, Lloyd Blankfein, Jamie Dimon, Gerald Levin, Iris Robinson, Tiger Woods, and Mark Zuckerberg. The article closes with suggestions to direct future research.
KeywordsApologies Apology components Pragmatics Public apologies
- Arlidge, J. (2009). I’m doing ‘God’s work’. Meet Mr. Goldman Sachs. The Times. Retrieved from http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6907681.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1.
- Baldwin, A. (2007a). Alec Baldwin on the view: part 1. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv38VMIK9OY.
- Baldwin, A. (2007b). Alec Baldwin on the view: part 2. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKr59QvCcSg&feature=related.
- Baldwin, A. (2007c). Alec responds I’ve been driven to the edge. Retrieved from http://www.tmz.com/2007/04/20/alec-responds-ive-been-driven-to-the-edge/.
- Barr, C. (2009). Blankfein: We contribute growth. CNNMoney.com. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/16/news/newsmakers/blankfein.breakfast.fortune/index.htm.
- Baskin, J. S. (2010). An apology for better conduct. Retrieved from http://myventurepad.com/index.php?q=mvp/96232.
- Dealbook. (2009). Goldman regrets ‘Market Euphoria’ that led to crisis. Dealbook.NewYorkTimes.com. Retrieved from http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/goldman-regrets-market-euphoria-that-led-to-crisis/.
- DePaulo, B. M. (1992). Negotiating the thicket of truths and deceits in politics and in everyday life. The Long Term View, 1, 5–8.Google Scholar
- Dimon, J. (2011). JPMorgan chase announces new programs for military and veterans. Retrieved from http://www.jpmorganchase.com/corporate/Corporate-Responsibility/new-programs-for-military.htm.
- Finkelstein, S. (2003). Why smart executives fail: And what you can learn from their mistakes. New York: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Friedman, H. H. (2006). The power of remorse and apology. Journal of College and Character VII. Retrieved from http://journals.naspa.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1510&context=jcc&sei-redir=1#search=“the+power+of+remorse+and+apology”.
- Gibney, M., Howerd-Hassmann, R., Coicaud, J. M., & Sreiner, N. (2008). The age of apology. Philadelphia, PA: Pennsylvania University Press.Google Scholar
- Gold, G. J., & Weiner, B. (2000). Remorse, confession, group identity, and expectancies about repeating a transgression. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 22(4), 291–300.Google Scholar
- Harper, C., & Townsend, M. (2009). Blankfein apologizes for Goldman Sachs role in crisis (part 1). Bloomberg. Retrieved from http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aeV9jwqKKrEw.
- Hart, P. D., & D. McGinn. (2010). Advice for BP’s reputation crisis. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703339304575240123043330744.html.
- Hawthorne, N. (1850). The scarlet letter. Boston, MA: Ticknor, Reeds, & Field.Google Scholar
- Henning, P. J. (2011). Finding Goldman at fault in the crisis. Dealbook.NewYorkTimes.com. Retrieved from http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/04/18/finding-goldman-at-fault-in-the-financial-crisis/.
- Kanter, R. (2009). Three little words every leader needs to learn. Retrieved from http://blogs.hbr.org/kanter/2009/05/three-little-words-every-leade.html.
- Kelts, R. (2010). Toyota and trust: Was the Akio Toyoda apology lost in translation? Retrieved from http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2010/0225/Toyota-and-trust-Was-the-Akio-Toyoda-apology-lost-in-translation.
- Knowledge@Wharton. (2002). The year of the apology. Retrieved from http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=680.
- Lazare, A. (2004). On apology. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Levin, G. (2010). 10 Years after AOL-Time Warner, Gerald Levin says he’s sorry’. Retrieved from http://www.businessinsider.com/10-years-after-aol-time-warner-gerald-levin-says-hes-sorry-2010-1.
- Martin, A., & Maynard, M. (2010). For bankers, saying ‘sorry’ has its perils. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C05E1DD1138F930A25752C0A9669D8B63.
- Miller, W. I. (2005). Faking it. London: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Mills, P. (2001). The new culture of apology. Dissent. Retrieved from http://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/?article=913.
- Neckers, B. W. (2002). The art of the apology. Michigan Bar Journal, 81(6), 10–11.Google Scholar
- Popkin, H. A. S. (2010). Facebook: The ‘evil interface?’ msnbc.com. Retrieved from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36877160/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/.
- Robinson, I. (2010). Iris Robinson statement in full. BBC News Channel. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8444365.stm.
- Sack, K. (2008). Doctors say ‘I’m sorry’ before ‘see you in court’. New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/us/18apology.html.
- Steel, E., & Vascellaro, J. E. (2010). Facebook, MySpace confront privacy loophole. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704513104575256701215465596.html.
- Taibbi, M. (2010). The Great American Bubble Machine. Rolling Stone. Retrieved from http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-great-american-bubble-machine-20100405.
- Tangney, J. P., & Dearing, R. (2002). Shame and guilt. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Toyoda, A. (2010). Statement by Toyota Motor Corporation President Akio Toyoda. Retrieved from http://blog.toyota.co.uk/statement-by-toyota-motor-corporation-president-akio-toyoda.
- Webb, T. (2010). BP boss admits job on the line over gulf oil spill. Retrieved from http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/may/13/bp-boss-admits-mistakes-gulf-oil-spill.
- Weeks, H. (2003). The art of the apology. Harvard Management Update (on-line edition. Retrieved from http://hbswk.hbs.edu/pubitem.jhtml?id=3481andt=career_effectiveness.
- Woods, T. (2010). CNN: Tiger woods’ full apology speech. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs8nseNP4s0.
- Zuckerberg, M. (2010). From Facebook, answering privacy concerns with new settings. The Washington Post. Retrieved from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wpdyn/content/article/2010/05/23/AR2010052303828.html.