Health-related quality of life of Iranian breast cancer patients: a meta-analysis and systematic review
- 10 Downloads
Quality of life is the most important psychological factor affecting breast cancer patients. This study aimed to examine the health related quality of life of breast cancer patients in Iran.
International (PubMed, Web of science, Scopus and Google scholar) and national (SID, Magiran) databases were searched for related studies to September 2017. The quality of the articles was evaluated using the Hoy tool.
Out of 232 initial studies, 18 studies performed on 2263 people were included in the final stage of the study. Based on the EORTC-QLQ-C30 and random effect method, the pooled mean score of quality of life in 1073 people was 57.88 (95% CI 48.26–67.41, I2 = 97.90%) and the pooled mean score of quality of life based on WHOQOL-BREF in 357 people was 66.79 (95% CI 45.96–87.62, I2 = 99.50%).
According to the results of the study, a moderate level of quality of life in women with breast cancer was indicated. Therefore, the use of multidimensional approaches can improve their quality of life.
KeywordsQuality of life Breast Cancer Iran Systematic review
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
All procedures performed in the study described in this manuscript were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee.
- 3.Cancer IAfRo, Organization WH (2016) IARC handbooks of cancer prevention volume 15-breast cancer screening. Int Agency Res Cancer,Google Scholar
- 6.Lamyian M, Heidarnia A, Ahmadi F, Faghihzadeh S, AguilarVafaie M (2008) Women’s prospect of breast cancer early detection behavior: a qualitative research. J Birjand Univ Med Sci 15(3):88–102Google Scholar
- 7.Park K (2002) Preventive and social medicine. M/s. Banarsidas bhanot publishers, Jabalpur (India)Google Scholar
- 9.Park K (2007) Park’s textbook of preventive and social medicineGoogle Scholar
- 11.Alipour F, Sajadi H, Foruzan A, Biglarian A, Jalilian A (2008) Elderly quality of life in Tehran’s district two. Iran J Ageing 3(3):75–83Google Scholar
- 12.Kamali M, Arjmand HM, Ahangari M (2008) A Study of quality of life among older people with hypertension and low back pain. Salmand 3(7):26–32Google Scholar
- 13.Mousavi S, Asri M (2003) Educational requirements of patients with cancer during chemotherapy and radiotherapy for their self-care. JBUMS 5(1):17–20Google Scholar
- 18.Khalili N, Farajzadegan Z, Mokarian F, Bahrami F (2013) Coping strategies, quality of life and pain in women with breast cancer. Iranian J Nurs Midwifery Res 18(2):105Google Scholar
- 21.Sadoughi M, Mehrzad V, Mohammad Salehi Z (2017) The relationship between psychological capital and quality of life among patients with breast cancer. Razi J Med Sci 24(156):111–119Google Scholar
- 22.Kiaei M, Ferdosi M, Moradi R, Chelongar Q, Ahmadzadeh MS, Bahmanziari N (2016) Association between self-efficacy and quality of life in women with breast cancer undergoing chemotherapy. J Qazvin Univ Med Sci 20(2):58–65Google Scholar
- 23.HasanpourDehkordi A (2006) Factors affecting quality of life in cancer patients under chemotherapy in Tehran (2004). J Kermanshah Univ Med Sci 10 (2Google Scholar
- 26.Rohani C, Abedi HA, Omranipour R, Langius-Eklof A (2015) Health-related quality of life and the predictive role of sense of coherence, spirituality and religious coping in a sample of Iranian women with breast cancer: a prospective study with comparative design. Health Qual Life Outcomes 13:40. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-015-0229-1 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 28.Hatam N, Bastani P, Ahmadloo N, Kiadaliri AA (2012) Health related quality of life in breast cancer patients undergoing current chemotherapy protocols. J Kerman Univ Med Sci 19(1):49–58Google Scholar
- 30.Bagheri M, Mazaheri M (2015) Body image and quality of life in female patients with breast cancer and healthy women. J Midwifery Reprod Health 3(1):285–292Google Scholar
- 32.Hosseini SM (2014) Quality of life, pain and treatment acceptance in women with breast cancer in Chaharamahal and Bakhtiari. Iran Q J Breast Dis 6(4):52–59Google Scholar
- 33.Monfared A, Pakseresht S, Ghanbari Khanghah A, Atrkar-Roshan Z (2013) Health-Related Quality of Life and its related factors among women with breast cancer. J Holist Nurs Midwifery 23(2):52–62Google Scholar
- 34.Ayatollahi H (2013) Quality of life in breast cancer patients: study in the Omid cancer research center– Urmia. Iran Q J Breast Dis 5(4):35–43Google Scholar
- 36.Nejat S, Montazeri A, Holakouie Naieni K, Mohammad K, Majdzadeh S (2006) The world health organization quality of Life (WHOQOL-BREF) questionnaire: translation and validation study of the Iranian version. J Sch Publ Health Inst Publ Health Res 4(4):1–12Google Scholar
- 37.Montazeri A, Harirchi I, Vahdani M, Khaleghi F, Jarvandi S, Ebrahimi M, Haji-Mahmoodi M (1999) The European organization for research and treatment of cancer quality of life questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30): translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Support Care Cancer 7(6):400–406CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Rafiei N, Sharifian Sani M, Rafiey H, Behnampour N, Foroozesh K (2014) Reliability and Validity of Persian Version of. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci 24(116):75–83Google Scholar
- 39.Saleha S, Shakeel A, Shumaila E, Shazia R, Rashid R, Ibrahim M (2012) An assessment of quality of life in breast cancer patients using EORTC QLQ C30/+ Br 23 questionnaire. Iran J Cancer Prev 3(2):98–104Google Scholar