Multi-electrode array capable of supporting precisely patterned hippocampal neuronal networks
- 589 Downloads
Accurate positioning of primary mouse hippocampal neurons on electrodes enables the recording from and stimulation of specified individual neurons on a multi-electrode array (MEA). In this work, positive dielectrophoresis (DEP) is applied to actively recruit hippocampal neurons to the electrodes of a MEA, whereas microstructures such as chambers and trenches are created to effectively define a patterned neuronal network. We present here the effective pretreatment methods, to improve cytocompatibility of cured thin SU-8 epoxy, commonly used in the fabrication of MEAs. The functionality of our novel MEA is proven by the successful recording of spontaneous and stimulated neuronal potentials from primary hippocampal neurons, including the propagation of evoked neuronal bursts between electrodes.
KeywordsMulti-electrode array (MEA) Dielectrophoresis (DEP) Precise patterning SU-8 cytocompatibility Hippocampal neuronal network Neuronal recording
This work was partially funded by National Science Foundation (NSF) grant NSF ECCS-1321356 and a grant to Lehigh University from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) through the Precollege and Undergraduate Science Education Program.
- G. Jing, A Multi-electrode Array (MEA) System for Patterned Neural Networks (Lehigh University, Bethlehem, 2009), pp. 167–178Google Scholar
- R. Miles, R.D. Traub, R.K. Wong, J. Neurophysiol. 60(4), 1481–1496 (1988)Google Scholar
- T. Ogura, T. Kubo, Y. Okuda, K. Lee, Y. Kira, S. Aramaki, F. Nakanishi, J. Orthop. Surg. 10(1), 67–71 (2002)Google Scholar
- H.A. Pohl, Dielectrophoresis: The Behavior of Neutral Matter in Nonuniform Electric Fields (Cambridge University Press, New York, 1978)Google Scholar
- W. Tonomura, R. Kitazawa, T. Ueyama, H. Okamura, S. Konishi, Proc. IEEE Conf. Sensors, Daegu, Korea, 140–143 (2006) doi: 10.1109/ICSENS.2007.355738
- V.N. Vernekar, D.K. Cullen, N. Fogleman, Y. Choi, A.J. Garcia, M.G. Allen, G.J. Brewer, M.C. LaPlaca, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 89(1), 138–151 (2009)Google Scholar
- T. Zhou, S. Tatic-Lucic, Proc. IEEE Conf. Sensors, Taipei, Taiwan (2012) doi: 10.1109/ICSENS.2012.6411487