The effects of silver ions and silver nanoparticles on cell division and expression of cdc2 gene in Allium cepa root tips
- 154 Downloads
The effects of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs), silver ions (Ag+), and polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) on mitosis and expression of a gene encoding cyclin-dependent kinase 2 (cdc2) in onion roots were compared. Three concentrations (5, 10, and 15 mg dm-3) were employed in combination with three incubation times (3, 6, and 9 h). PVP enhanced mitotic index and cdc2 expression. Both silver forms decreased mitotic index and cdc2 expression. Genotoxicity of both silver forms were indicated by three major distinguishable classes of chromosome aberrations: spindle disturbances, clastogenic aberrations, and chromosome stickiness. Concerning Ag+ treatments, significant enhancements in occurrence of any chromosome aberration type was associated with significant decrease in mitotic index. On the other hand, disturbed spindle in AgNPs treatments was observed even in absence of significant reduction in mitotic index suggesting that AgNPs inhibit cellular events occurring during mitosis to proceed normally rather than starting of cell division.
Additional key wordschromosome aberrations mitotic index mitotic abnormalities phase index real-time PCR
cyclin dependent kinase like
least significant difference
transmission electron microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Babaei, N., Abdullah, N.A.P., Saleh, G., Abdullah, T.L.: Control of contamination and explant browning in Curculigo latifolia in vitro cultures. — J. med. Plants Res. 7: 448–454, 2013.Google Scholar
- Boruc, J., Mylle, E., Duda, M., De Clercq, R., Rombauts, S., Geelen, D., Hilson, P., Inze, D., Van Damme, D., Russinova, E.: Systematic localization of the Arabidopsis core cell cycle proteins reveals novel cell division complexes. — Plant Physiol. 152: 553–565, 2010.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kittler, S., Greulich, C., Köller, M., Epple, M.: Synthesis of PVP-coated silver nanoparticles and their biological activity towards human mesenchymal stem cells. — Mater. Sci. Eng. Technol. 40: 258–264, 2009.Google Scholar
- Panda, K.K., Achary, V.M.M., Phaomie, G., Sahu, H.K., Parinandi, N.L., Panda, B.B.: Polyvinyl polypyrrolidone attenuates genotoxicity of silver nanoparticles synthesized via green route, tested in Lathyrus sativus L. root bioassay. — Mutag. Res. 806: 11–23, 2016.Google Scholar
- Pulate, P.V., Ghurde, M.U., Deshmukh, V.R.: Cytological effect of the biological and chemical silver nano particle in Allium cepa (L). — Inter. J. Innov. biol. Sci. 1: 32–35, 2011.Google Scholar
- Savithramma, N., Ankanna, S., Bhumi, G.: Effect of nanoparticles on seed germination and seedling growth of Boswellia ovalifoliolata an endemic and endangered medicinal tree taxon. — Nano Vision 2: 61–68, 2012.Google Scholar
- Shahrokh, S., Emtiazi, G.: Toxicity and unusual biological behavior of nanosilver on gram positive and negative bacteria assayed by microtiter-plate. — Eur. J. biol. Sci. 1: 28–31, 2009.Google Scholar
- Shimelis, D., Bantte, K., Feyissa, T.: Effects of polyvinyl pyrrolidone and activated charcoal to control effect of phenolic oxidation on in vitro culture establishment stage of micropropagation of sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.). — Adv. Crop Sci. Technol. 3: 184–187, 2015.Google Scholar