Cadmium effects on growth and antioxidant enzymes activities in Miscanthus sinensis
- 272 Downloads
Plants of Miscanthus sinensis (cv. Giganteus) were grown in hydroponics for three months in nutrient solution with 0, 2.2, 4.4 and 6.6 μM CdNO3. Growth parameters, catalase (CAT), guaiacol peroxidase (POD), ascorbate peroxidase (APX) and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activities were analysed in leaves and roots collected after 1-and 3-month exposure. Dry biomass of all miscanthus organs was affected by Cd concentration both after 1-and 3-month exposure. No visible symptoms of Cd toxicity were observed in shoots and rhizomes of plants grown in presence of Cd. In contrast, roots became shorter and thicker and the whole root system more dense and compact already after one month of treatment with 6.6 μM Cd. The lower Cd concentration increased the enzymes activities after 3 months in leaves and only after 1-month in roots, while a decrease in activity was observed at higher Cd concentrations.
Additional keywordscatalase heavy metals oxidative stress peroxidases superoxide dismutase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arduini, I., Masoni, A., Ercoli, L., Mariotti, M.: Growth and cadmium uptake of Miscanthus sinensis as affected by cadmium.-Agr. Med. 133: 169–178, 2003.Google Scholar
- Baszynski, T., Wajda, L., Krol, M., Wolinska, D., Krupa, Z., Tukendorf, A.: Photosynthetic activities of cadmium-treated tomato plants.-Physiol. Plant. 63: 293–298, 1980.Google Scholar
- Chance, B.,A., Maehly, C.: Assay of catalase and peroxidase.-In: Colowick, S.P., Kaplan, N.O. (ed.): Methods in Enzymology. Pp. 764–775. Academic Press, New York 1955.Google Scholar
- Chen, G.X., Asada, K.: Ascorbate peroxidase in tea leaves: occurrence of two isoforms and the differences in their enzymatic properties.-Plant Cell Physiol. 30: 987–998, 1989.Google Scholar
- Lozano-Rodriguez, E., Hernandez, L.E., Bonay, P., Carpena-Ruiz, R.O.: Distribution of cadmium in shoot and root tissues of maize and pea plants: physiological disturbances.-J. exp. Bot. 48: 123–128, 1997.Google Scholar
- Shaw, B.P.: Effects of mercury and cadmium on the activities of antioxidative enzymes in the seedlings of Phaseolus aureus.-Biol. Plant. 37: 587–596, 1995.Google Scholar