Dynamics of allosteric modulation of lymphocyte function associated antigen-1 closure-open switch: unveiling the structural mechanisms associated with outside-in signaling activation
- 174 Downloads
To provide insight into the dynamics of the shape-shifting mechanistic events associated with the opening (activation) of Lymphocyte Function Associated Antigen-1 upon allosteric modulation by an activator, ICAM Binding Enhancer-667 (IBE-667), using molecular dynamics simulation.
Various parameters were used to appropriately describe and understand the sequence of events that characterized its activation across the simulation period such as residual distances, TriCα angles; as well as the dihedral angle. Our findings revealed a significant residual fluctuation and stability difference between both systems. Also, there was a synergistic coordination of the active MIDAS site by the downward pull of the α7 helix upon ligand binding, which appeared to be directly proportional to each other.
Allosteric binding of IBE-667, activated LFA-1 integrin as evidenced by residual motion at the MIDAS region which appears to be synergistically coordinated by the downward pull of the α7 helix.
KeywordsAllosteric Integrin lymphocyte function associated antigen-1 Modulation Molecular dynamics Synergistic
The authors acknowledge the School of Health Sciences, University of KwaZulu Natal, Westville Campus for financial support and Centre of High Performance Computing (www.chpc.ac.za), Cape Town, RSA, for computational resources.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Appiah-Kubi P, Soliman MES (2016) Dual anti-inflammatory and selective inhibition mechanism of leukotriene A4 hydrolase/aminopeptidase: insights from comparative molecular dynamics and binding free energy analyses. J Biomol Struct Dyn 1102:1–16Google Scholar
- Kumar A, Chordia N (2017) Role of bioinformatics in biotechnology. Res Rev Biosci 12:116Google Scholar
- Potin D, Launay M, Monatlik F et al (2006) Discovery and development of 5-[(5 S,9 R)-9- (4-cyanophenyl)-3-(3,5-dichlorophenyl)-1- methyl-2,4-dioxo-1,3,7-triazaspiro[4.4]non- 7-yl-methyl]-3-thiophenecarboxylic acid (BMS-587101) A small molecule antagonist of leukocyte function Associated Antigen-1. J Med Chem 49:6946–6949CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sen M, Springer TA, Humphries MJ, Wucherpfennig KW (2016) Correction biophysics and computational biology Leukocyte integrin α L β 2 headpiece structures: the αI domain, the pocket for the internal ligand, and concerted movements of its loops. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 11113:2940–2945CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Springer T, Sen M (2016) Leukocyte integrin alpha-L beta2 headpiece structures: the alpha1 domain, the pocket for the internal ligand, and concerted movements of its loops. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 11113:2940–2945Google Scholar