Solid state gas sensors based on metal oxide compositions (e.g., SnO2) are thought to be the best to meet present day technical and economical requirements. The operating principles of such sensors are based on changes in conductivity of molecules of gases (deoxidizers and oxidants) present in the analyzed air. However, in some cases different gases cause the same change in conductivity, which is a substantial disadvantage of such sensors. The subject of this work is to present research into electrofluctuation (flicker-noise) gas sensors based on silicon, which, unlike the sensors mentioned above, have higher selectivity. The adsorption-induced response of these sensors (noise spectral density versus frequency relation) is a unique identifier of the analyzed gas mixtures. The goal of this work was to study possible ways to increase the adsorption-induced response of such gas-sensing structures based on silicon.
KeywordsAbsorption Capacity Flicker Noise SIMOX Solid State Sensor Flicker Noise Spectroscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Z. Shoblitskas and V. Palenskis, Lit. Fiz. Sb., 25, No. 3, 88–97 (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.N. B. Luk’yanchikova, Fluctuation Phenomena in Semiconductors and Semiconductor Devices [in Russian], Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow (1990), p. 296.Google Scholar
- 4.M. I. Makoviychuk, Mikroelektronika, 29, No. 4, 247–265 (2000).Google Scholar
- 5.M. I. Makoviychuk, E. O. Parshin, and A. L. Chapkevich, Proc. 17th Int. Conf. on Noise and Fluctuations – ICNF 2003 (August 18–22, 2003, Charles University Conference Center, Prague, Czech Republic), CNRL, Brno (2003), pp. 295–298.Google Scholar
- 6.M. I. Makoviychuk, V. G. Sister, A. A. Orlikovskii, and A. L. Chapkevich, Abs. XVI Int. Com. on Radiation Physics of Solid Body (July 3–8, 2006, Sevastopol), MGIEM, Moscow (2006), pp. 20–27.Google Scholar
- 7.A. L. Chapkevich and M. I. Makoviychuk, Abs. 2nd Moscow Scientific Workshop Science in Moscow, Vol. 2 (July 13–17, 2005, Moscow), MKNT, Moscow (2005), pp. 767–778.Google Scholar
- 8.M. I. Makoviychuk, Mikroelektronika, 37, No. 4, 258–269 (2008).Google Scholar
- 9.M. I. Makoviychuk, Abs. XVIII Int. Com. on Radiation Physics of Solid Body (July 7–12, 2008, Sevastopol), NII PMT, Moscow (2008), pp. 408–419.Google Scholar
- 10.A. L. Chapkevich, A. A. Chapkevich, and M. I. Makoviychuk, “A Method for Control of Gas Medium and a Device for Its Implementation”, Request No. 2008127993 (2008).Google Scholar
- 11.A. L. Chapkevich, A. A. Chapkevich, and M. I. Makoviychuk, “A Gas Sensor and a Device for Gas Medium Control”, RF Useful Model Certificate No. 79182 (2008).Google Scholar
- 12.M. I. Makoviychuk, Abs. Int. Sci.-Tech. Workshop on Noise and Degradation Processes in Semiconductor Devices, MEI, Moscow (2007), pp. 137–142.Google Scholar