Structural Changes in Mesocorticolimbic Dopaminergic System of the Brain during Long-Term Alcoholization in Rats
- 44 Downloads
We studied morphofunctional changes in structures of the mesocorticolimbic system of rat brain upon long-term (5 months) ethanol intoxication. Alcoholization reduced the volume and specific density of neurons in the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area. The density of neurogliocytes in the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area increased. Neuronal density in the nucleus accumbens and anterior cingulate cortex significantly decreased, the volume of viable neurons slightly increased. One month after alcohol cessation, the volume of neurons in the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area remained elevated against the background of their reduced density. The density of neuroglia in the nucleus accumbens and anterior cingulate cortex remained at the level observed during alcoholization. Significant decrease in the density and decrease in the volume of neurons in structures of the mesocorticolimbic system accompanied by the increase in neuroglyocyte density in these structures can be considered as morphological signs of long-term alcoholic intoxication, which persist after alcohol cessation.
Key Wordsdopamine mesocorticolimbic brain pathway ethanol morphology neurogliocytes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. P. Anokhina, Biological Basis for Individual Sensitivity to Psychotropic Drugs [in Russian], Moscow (2006), p. 7.Google Scholar
- 2.A. A. Lebedev, A. V. Droblenkov, P. D. Shabanov, Psikhofarmakol. Biol. Narkol., 7, Nos. 3–4, 2158–2178, 2007.Google Scholar
- 3.P. D. Shabanov, Principles of Narcology [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2002).Google Scholar
- 4.P. D. Shabanov, Psychopharmacology [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2008).Google Scholar
- 5.P. D. Shabanov, A. A. Lebedev, and Sh. K. Mescherov, Dopamine and Brain Reinforcing Systems [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2002).Google Scholar
- 7.P. D. Shabanov, A. A. Lebedev, V. V. Rusanovsky, et al., Narkologiya, 3, 36–41 (2006).Google Scholar
- 8.P. D. Shabanov, Sh. K. Meshcherov, and A. A. Lebedev, Social Isolation Syndrome [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2004).Google Scholar
- 10.P. D. Shabanov, Int. J. Addiction Res. 1, No. 1, 200–204 (2008).Google Scholar