Investigation of the Energy Spectra of 14-MeV Neutron Generators
- 32 Downloads
The energy spectra of 14 MeV neutron generators of different types were measured using spectrometers with organic scintillators. Additional neutron peaks with energy less than 14 MeV, which are due to the neutrons produced in the ancillary reaction 2H + 2H = 3H + p, and neutrons generated in the material of the target blocks and the scintillation crystals of the spectrometers were identified in the neutron spectra of the generators. Specifically, a peak at 3.6 MeV was found in the resulting neutrons spectra; this peak is produced when carbon nuclei present in the scintillators of the spectrometers decay under the action of 14 MeV neutrons.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. D. Sevastyanov, O. I. Kovalenko, A. V. Orlov, et al., “Formation of the neutron energy spectrum near the target block of a source of monoenergetic neutrons with energy ~ 14 MeV,” Izmer. Tekhn., No. 9, 59–64 (2016).Google Scholar
- 3.V. D. Sevastyanov and L. A. Trykov, “Investigation of the characteristics of neutron and γ-radiation of neutron generators,” At. Energ., 104, No. 1, 60–63 (2008).Google Scholar
- 4.V. D. Sevastyanov, A. S. Koshelev, and G. N. Maslov, Characteristics of Neutron Fields. Sources of Prompt Fission and 14 MeV Neutrons – Neutron Generators, Research and Power Reactors, Special Devices Converting Neutron Radiation: Handbook, VNIIFTRI, Mendeleevo (2014), Vol. 1.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Marion and J. Fowler (eds.), Fast Neutron Physics: Experiments and Theory [Russian translation], Atomizdat, Moscow (1966).Google Scholar
- 7.V. I. Strizhak, M. E. Gurtova, B. E. Leshchenko, et al., Fast Neutron Physics, Atomizdat, Moscow (1977).Google Scholar
- 8.V. D. Sevastyanov, G. N. Maslov, V. D. Kovalchuk, et al., “Investigation of the spectra of 14 MeV neutron generators,” Prib. Tekhn. Eksperim., No. 3, 5–13 (2006).Google Scholar
- 9.F. H. Mirsalikhova, B. G. Skorodumov, and Yu. N. Talanin, “On the measurement of the absolute yield of 14 MeV neutrons from the corresponding αparticles from the T(d, n)4He reaction,” Izv. Akad. Nauk Uz. SSR, Ser. Fiz.-Mat. Nauk, No. 4, 57–60 (1966).Google Scholar
- 10.Yu. Ya. Nefedov, M. S. Shvetsov, V. I. Nagornyi, and L. M. Surov, “Measurement of the fluence of 14 MeV neutrons according to the ancillary α-radiation,” in: 3rd All-Union Conf. on the Metrology of Neutron Radiation in Reactors and Accelerators, TsNIIatominform, Moscow (1983), pp. 92– 98.Google Scholar