Separating Stable Boron Isotopes in Uniflow Gas Centrifuges
- 45 Downloads
A variant of a model of a uniflow gas centrifuge for separating a binary mixture of boron isotopes in the trifluoride form, taking account of the interaction of the rotating gas with a stationary cylindrical central body, is proposed. Expressions are obtained for the maximum admissible enrichment and separation factors and the optimal separative power as functions of the radius of the central body. It is shown that a cascade of uniflow gas centrifuges with more than 95% enrichment of boron trifluoride in terms of the 10B isotope in the requisite quantities for industry can be built in practice.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. D. Risovanyi, A. V. Zakharov, E. P. Klotchkov, and T. M. Guseva, Boron in in Nuclear Technology, Dimitrovgrad (2003).Google Scholar
- 2.N. A. Babushkina and V. Yu. Baranov, “Review of current applications of isotopes in nuclear power, physics, and semiconductor electronics,” in: 7th All-Rus. Sci. Conf. on Physicochemical Processes in the Selection of Atoms and Molecules, Zvenigorod (2002), pp. 65–78.Google Scholar
- 3.B. M. Andreev, E. I. Magomedbekov, A. A. Raitman, et al., Separation of the Isotopes of Biogenic Elements in Two-Phase Systems, IzdAT, Moscow (2003).Google Scholar
- 4.A. V. Stepanov, E. V. Zernova, A. V. Lizunov, et al., “First experimental separation of boron isotopes by chemical exchange using nitromethane as a complexing agent,” Usp. Khim. Khim. Tekhnol., 22, No. 8(88), 79–83 (2008).Google Scholar
- 5.E. V. Zernova, A. V. Lizunov, and A. V. Khoroshilov, et al., “Complex compounds of esters and ester-choloro-anhydries of phosphoric acids with boron trifluoride and the prospects for using them in the separation of boron isotopes by chemical exchange,” ibid, pp. 84–88.Google Scholar
- 6.V. D. Borisevich, V. D. Borman, V. I. Tokmantev, et al., Physical Basis of the Separation of Isotopes in a Gas Centrifuge, Izd. MEI, Moscow (2011).Google Scholar
- 7.E. P. Klochkov, A. G. Osipenko, V. D. Risovannyi, and M. A. Kuzin, Patent No. 2524686 RF, “A methods of obtaining boron-11 and compounds based on it,” subm. Aug. 10, 2014, Byull. Izobret. Polezn. Modeli, No. 22, 18 (2014).Google Scholar
- 8.K. Cohen, The Theory of Isotope Separation as Applied to the Large-Scale Production of 235 U, McGraw-Hill, New York (1951).Google Scholar
- 10.A. A. Sazykin, “Tthermodynamic approach to the separation of isotopes,” in: Isotopes: Properties, Production, and Application, V. Yu. Baranov (ed.), IzdAT, Moscow (2000), pp. 72–108.Google Scholar
- 12.Yu. A. Koshmarov and Yu. A. Ryzhov, Applied Dynamics of Rarefied Gases, Mashinostroenie, Moscow (1977).Google Scholar
- 13.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Theoretical Physics, Vol. 6, Hydrodynamics, Fizmatlit, Moscow (2001).Google Scholar