Computational and Experimental Studies of Mixing of a Light Gas in the ERCOSAM–SAMARA Projects
- 30 Downloads
Severe accidents in NPP with VVER can be accompanied by hydrogen entering the containment space. The aim of the present work is an experimental and computational study of the possibility of hydrogen stratification in the containment in a scenario replicating the sequence of events occurring during a severe accident with hydrogen emission in a light-water reactor taking account of the impact of accident control on the distribution of a light gas. Euratom and the government corporation Rosatom performed the studies as part of two parallel projects – ERCOSAM and SAMARA. The experimental studies show that heat exchangers aand recombiners do bring about complete mixing of the light gas; a sprinkler system affords mixing of the stratified layer. The experimental studies confirm the results of numerical modeling.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Paladino, S. Guentay, M. Andreani, et al., “Numerical study on interaction of local air cooler with stratified hydrogen cloud in a large vessel,” Proc. ICAPP, Chicago, USA, June 24–28, 2012, p. 12325.Google Scholar
- 2.L. A. Bol’shov, “Lessons of Chernobyl and Fukushima and current concepts of severe accident management,” At. Energ., 121, No. 1, 3–10 (2016).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Kamnev, O. Tyurikov, A. Khizbullin, et al., “Overview of SPOT experimental and analytical activities with KUPOL,” Proc. ICAPP, Nice, France, May 3–6, 2015, p. 15455.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Andreani, M. Sharabi, A. Bleyer, et al., “Modelling of stratification and mixing of a gas mixture under the conditions of a severe accident with intervention of mitigation measures,” ibid., p. 15348.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Malet, D. Paladino, M. Andreani, et al., “EU–ERCOSAM–SAMARA PROJECT – scaling from nuclear power plant to experiments,” ibid., p. 15378.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Lee and G. Jirka, Stability and Mixing of a Vertical Round Buoyant Jet in Shallow Water, Energy Lab. Report, MIT-EL 74-014 (1974).Google Scholar
- 8.A. M. Bakhmetyev, M. A. Bolshuhin, V. V. Vakhrushev, et al., “Experimental validation of the cooling loop of a passive system for removing heat from the containment of the NPP-2006 project at the Leningradskaya NPP,” At. Energ., 106, No. 3, 148–152 (2009).Google Scholar