Dynamics of a Charged-Particle Bunch in a Travelling Wave Field with Focusing by a Uniform Magnetic Field
- 26 Downloads
This work is devoted to charged-particle dynamics in a traveling wave field that is central to the theory of the resonance method of acceleration. The equations of longitudinal and transverse motions of a bunch, focused by a longitudinal uniform magnetic field, are derived, for the first time, within the framework of the theory of envelopes. The Lagrangian of the longitudinal and transverse motions is central to the method used; the derivation of these functions is based on the following assumptions: the emittance of a bunch is approximated by an ellipse and the bunch itself in the configuration space is approximated by an ellipsoid of revolution. The solutions of test problems in which the results obtained by the method of individual particles are compared with the results obtained with the derived equations show satisfactory agreement. The equations of the envelopes could find application in the design of accelerating systems of linear resonance accelerators with focusing by a uniform magnetic field. This pertains to, first and foremost, linear electron accelerators in which focusing of this kind is often used.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. M. Kapchinskii, Theory of Linear Resonance Accelerators, Energoizdat, Moscow (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.R. Miller, An Introduction to the Physics of Intense Charged Particle Beams, Plenum Press, New York (1984).Google Scholar
- 3.A. S. Chikhachev, Kinetic Theory of Quasistationary States of Charged-Particle Beams, Fizmatgiz, Moscow (2001).Google Scholar
- 4.E. K. Kolesnikov and A. S. Manuilov, “Generalization of the equations of the envelopes of quasistationary relativistic electron beam in the case of the development of resistive instability,” Zh. Tekh. Fiz., 83, No. 11, 153–155 (2013).Google Scholar
- 5.V. K. Baev, “Longitudinal dynamics of nonrelativistic bunch of charged particles in the fi eld of a traveling wave,” Pisma Zh. Eksp. Tekh. Fiz., 39, No. 4, 17–22 (2013).Google Scholar
- 6.V. K. Baev, B. Yu. Bogdanovich, and A. V. Nesterovich, “Longitudinal dynamics of a bunch of charged particles in the fi eld of a traveling wave,” At. Énerg., 118, No. 2, 110–113 (2015).Google Scholar
- 7.O. A. Val’dner, A. D. Vlasov, and A. V. Shal’nov, Linear Accelerators, Atomizdat, Moscow (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.A. D. Vlasov, Theory of Linear Accelerators, Atomizdat, Moscow (1965).Google Scholar