Diffusion of Radiation in Inhomogeneous Turbulent Atmospheres
- 17 Downloads
The model problem of the formation of spectral lines in an absorbing and scattering atmosphere of finite optical depth with developed turbulence is stated and solved. The purpose of this paper is to clarify the influence of different kinds of spatial correlated nonthermal motions on observed line profiles. The method of invariant imbedding is used; it enables solution of this problem under rather general assumptions about the character of the turbulence, as well as about elementary scattering events and the distribution of energy sources in the medium. Special attention is devoted to the limits of macro- and microturbulence. It is shown that in the case of microturbulence, the reflectivity of the medium and its opacity are greater over the entire frequency range. It is also found that the dependence of the observed characteristics on the correlation length is stronger when medium is thicker and the average velocity of the turbulent motions is higher.
Keywordsradiative transfer: turbulent atmosphere: correlation length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. G. Nikoghossian, Astrofizika 50, 219 (2007), [Astrophysics, 50, 175 (2007)].Google Scholar
- 9.A. G. Nikoghossian, Astrofizika 50, 321 (2007), [Astrophysics, 50, 391 (2007)].Google Scholar
- 10.A. G. Nikoghossian, Light Scat. Rev. 8, 425 (2013).Google Scholar
- 12.E. S. Ventsel’, Probability Theory [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1964).Google Scholar
- 15.M. S. Bartlett, An Introduction to Stochastic Processes, Cambridge Univ. Press (1965).Google Scholar
- 17.R. Bellman, R. Kalaba, and M. Prestrud, Invariant Imbedding and Radiative Transfer in Slabs of Finite Thickness, Amer. Elsevier (1963).Google Scholar
- 19.A. G. Nikoghossian, Astrofizika 54, 149 (2011), [Astrophysics, 54, 126 (2011)].Google Scholar
- 20.A. G. Nikoghossian, Astrofizika 57, 296 (2014), [Astrophysics, 57, 272,2014)].Google Scholar
- 21.A. G. Nikoghossian, Astrofizika 57, 407 (2014), [Astrophysics, 57, 375 (2014)].Google Scholar