Effect of the Nonuniformity of Radio Sources on Estimates of Their Physical Parameters
- 13 Downloads
Estimating the physical parameters of nonuniform radio sources in active galactic nuclei (AGN) requires knowledge of the angular dimensions of radio sources at the low frequencies where a steep slope (cutoff) in the low-frequency spectrum (opacity region) is observed. In most compact radio sources, the low-frequency cutoff lies in the meter wavelength range. At present there are no VLBI systems operating at meter wavelengths, so the low-frequency dimensions of compact radio sources in AGN cannot be measured directly. Here we propose a method for estimating the low-frequency angular dimensions of compact radio sources (in the opacity region) based on the shape of their spectra.
Keywordsactive galactic nuclei radio jets magnetic fields
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. S. Artyukh, Trudy Fiz. in-ta. im. P. N. Lebedeva 189, 223 (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.V. S. Artyukh and P. A. Chernikov, Astron. zh. 83, 224 (2006).Google Scholar
- 5.V. S. Artyukh and P. A. Chernikov, Astron. zh. 78, 1 (2001).Google Scholar
- 6.V. S. Artyukh, Astrofizika 59, 583 (2016), [Astrophysics, 59, 514 (2016).]Google Scholar
- 7.A. Pakhol’chik, Radio Astrophysics [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow 1973).Google Scholar
- 13.V. S. Artyukh, S. A. Tyul’bashev, and P. A. Chernikov, Astron. zh. 76, 3 (1999).Google Scholar
- 16.V. S. Artyukh, S. A. Tyul’bashev, and P. A. Chernikov, Astron. zh. 90, 466 (2013).Google Scholar