Sexual Arousal and Sexual Activity Frequency: Implications for Understanding Hypersexuality
- 776 Downloads
Some research indicates that sexual arousal, rather than scores on existing hypersexuality measures, may better explain higher levels of sexual activity (Steele, Staley, Fong, & Prause, 2013; Winters, Christoff, & Gorzalka, 2010). Specifically, sexual arousal may be a better a predictor of hypersexuality because self-report measures of hypersexual behavior typically rely upon an individual’s self-perception that their sexual behavior is out-of-control, rather than these measures also assessing an individual’s frequency of sexual activity to independently confirm the veracity of their perceptions. In addition, Ariely and Loewenstein (2006) suggest that, for some individuals, high states of sexual arousal may impair their decision-making to engage in sexual behavior that they may otherwise avoid when their sexual arousal is low, and also to engage in sexual behavior inconsistent with personal beliefs and values. However, to date, the evidence is mixed regarding whether...
KeywordsSexual Behavior Sexual Activity Sexual Arousal Unique Variance Sexual Fantasy
- Carnes, P. J. (1991). Don’t call it love: Recovery from sexual addiction. New York: Bantam Books.Google Scholar
- Derogatis, L. R. (2011). Derogatis sexual functioning inventory. In T. D. Fisher, C. M. Davis, W. L. Yarber, & S. L. Davis (Eds.), Handbook of sexuality-related measures (3rd ed., pp. 304–306). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Grubbs, J. B., Stauner, N., Exline, J. J., Pargament, K. I., & Lindberg, M. J. (2015). Perceived addiction to internet pornography and psychological distress: Examining relationships concurrently over time. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 29, 1056–1067. doi: 10.1037/adb0000114.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mechelmans, D. J., Irvine, M., Banca, P., Porter, L., Mitchell, S., Mole, T. B., … Voon, V. (2014). Enhanced attentional bias towards sexually explicit cues in individuals with and without compulsive sexual behaviours. PLoS One, 9, e105476. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0105476.
- Oxford University Press. (2015). Hyper-. Retrieved December 10, 2015 from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/hyper-.
- Reid, R. C., Carpenter, B. N., Hook, J. N., Garos, S., Manning, J. C., Gilliland, R., … Fong, T. (2012). Report of findings in a DSM-5 field trial for hypersexual disorder. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 9, 2868–2877. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2012.02936.x.
- Voon, V., Mole, T. B., Banca, P., Porter, L., Morris, L., Mitchell, S., … Irvine, M. (2014). Neural correlates of sexual cue reactivity in individuals with and without compulsive sexual behaviours. PLoS One, 7, e102419. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0102419.