Domains of Distress Among People with Sexual Orientation Obsessions
Although sexual obsessions in obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) are not uncommon, obsessions about sexual orientation have not been well studied. These obsessions focus on issues such as the fear of being or becoming gay, fear of being perceived by others as gay, and unwanted mental images involving homosexual acts. Sexual orientation obsessions in OCD are particularly distressing due to the ego-dystonic nature of the obsessions and, often, stigma surrounding a same-sex orientation. The purpose of this study was to better understand distress in people suffering from sexual orientation obsessions in OCD. Data were collected online (n = 1,176) and subjects were 74.6 % male, 72.0 % heterosexual, and 26.4 % with an OCD diagnosis from a professional. The survey consisted of 70 novel questions that were assessed using a principal components analysis and the items separated into six components. These components were then correlated to distress among those with a prior OCD diagnosis and sexual orientation obsessions. Results indicated that sexual orientation obsessions in OCD were related to severe distress, including suicidal ideation. Implications of these findings and future directions for research are discussed.
KeywordsSexual obsessions Obsessive–compulsive disorder Homophobia Suicide Sexual orientation Anxiety
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: Author.Google Scholar
- Costello, A. B., & Osborne, J. W. (2005). Best practices in exploratory factor analysis: Four recommendations for getting the most from your analysis. Practical Assessment Research & Evaluation, 10(7). Retrieved from http://pareonline.net/getvn.asp?v=10&n=7.
- Dell’Osso, L., Casu, G., Carlini, M., Conversano, C., Gremigni, P., & Carmassi, C. (2012). Sexual obsessions and suicidal behaviors in patients with mood disorders, panic disorders and schizophrenia. Annals of General Psychiatry, 11(1), 27. doi:10.1186/1744-859X-11-27.PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maina, G., Salvi, V., Tiezzi, M. N., Albert, U., & Bogetto, F. (2007). Is OCD at risk for suicide? A case-control study. Clinical Neuropsychiatry, 4, 117–121.Google Scholar
- Williams, M. (2008). Homosexuality anxiety: A misunderstood form of OCD. In L. V. Sebeki (Ed.), Leading-edge health education issues (pp. 195–205). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Publishers.Google Scholar
- Williams, M. T., Slimowicz, J., Tellawi, G., & Wetterneck, C. (2014). Sexual orientation symptoms in obsessive compulsive disorder: Assessment and treatment with cognitive behavioral therapy. Directions in Psychiatry, 34, 37–50.Google Scholar