Why Can’t Pedophilic Disorder Remit?
- 1k Downloads
The DSM-5 (American Psychiatric Association, 2013) was released in May 2013. Although there had been discussions about the pedophilia category during the development of DSM-5 (Blanchard, 2010, 2013; Blanchard et al., 2009; Fedoroff, Di Gioacchino, & Murphy, 2013; First, 2010; Green, 2010; O’Donohue, 2010), in the end, when compared to DSM-IV-TR (American Psychiatric Association, 2000), only small changes were made.
Criterion A: a paraphilia with “recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving sexual activity with a prepubescent child or children (generally age 13 years or younger)” and Criterion B: “the individual has acted on these sexual urges, or the sexual urges or fantasies...
KeywordsSexual Orientation Sexual Interest Pedophilia Risk Assessment Instrument Paraphilic Disorder
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text rev.). Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: Author.Google Scholar
- Blanchard, R., Lykins, A. D., Wherrett, D., Kuban, M. E., Cantor, J. M., Blak, T., … Klassen P. E. (2009). Pedophilia, hebephilia, and the DSM-V. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 38, 335–350. doi: 10.1007/s10508-008-9399-9.
- Hanson, R. K., Harris, A. J. R., Scott, T. L., & Helmus, L. (2007). Assessing the risk of sexual offenders on community supervision: The dynamic supervision project. (User Report No. 2007-05). Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Canada. Retrieved from http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/ssssng-rsk-sxl-ffndrs/ssssng-rsk-sxl-ffndrs-eng.pdf.
- Jahnke, S., Imhoff, R., & Hoyer J. (2014). Stigmatization of people with pedophilia: Two comparative surveys. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10508-014-0312-4.