Gender Identity Disorder and Autism Spectrum Disorder in a 23-Year-Old Female
- 1.1k Downloads
We describe the case of a 23-year-old woman with Gender Identity Disorder (GID) asking for a cross-sex hormonal treatment with sex reassignment surgery and who was recently diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Gender identity clinics are now reporting an overrepresentation of individuals with ASD among GID patients. The prevalence of ASD is 10-fold higher among GID patients than in general population. However, few case reports or studies have explored the co-occurrence of ASD and GID. This co-occurrence is relevant for diagnostic and clinical management and also raises important theoretical issues.
KeywordsGender Identity Disorder Gender dysphoria Autism Spectrum Disorder Psychiatric co-morbidity
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text rev.). Washington, DC: Author. doi: 10.1176/appi.books.9780890423349.
- Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network Surveillance Year 2008 Principal Investigators. (2012). Prevalence of autism spectrum disorders—Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, 14 sites, United States, 2008. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. Surveillance Summaries, 61(3), 1–19.Google Scholar
- De Cuypere, G., Van Hemelrijck, M., Michel, A., Carael, B., Heylens, G., Rubens, R., … Monstrey, S. (2007). Prevalence and demography of transsexualism in Belgium. European Psychiatry, 22, 137–141. doi: 10.1016/j.eurpsy.2006.10.002.
- de Vries, A. L. C., Noens, I. L. J., Cohen-Kettenis, P. T., van Berckelaer-Onnes, I. A., & Doreleijers, T. A. (2010). Autism spectrum disorders in gender dysphoric children and adolescents. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 40, 930–936. doi: 10.1007/s10803-010-0935-9.PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fleta Zaragozano, J., Zapata Usábel, M., López Moreno, M. J., & Olivares López, J. L. (2005). Síndrome de Asperger asociado a macrosomía y trastorno de identidad sexual [Asperger syndrome associated with macrosomia and sexual identity disorder]. Anales de Pediatría, 63, 366–368. doi: 10.1157/13079820.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lord, C., Risi, S., Lambrecht, L., Cook, E. H., Leventhal, B. L., DiLavore, P. C., … Rutter, M. (2000). The Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule-generic: A standard measure of social and communication deficits associated with the spectrum of autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 30, 205–223.Google Scholar
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., & Le Couteur, A. (1994). Autism diagnostic interview-revised: A revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 24, 659–685. doi: 10.1007/BF02172145.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Reed, B., Rhodes, S., Schofield, P., & Wylie, K. (2009). Gender variance in the UK: Prevalence, incidence, growth and geographic distribution. Gender Identity Research and Education Society. Retrieved March 17, 2013 from http://www.gires.org.uk/assets/Medpro-Assets/GenderVarianceUK-report.pdf.
- Wood, H., Sasaki, S., Bradley, S. J., Singh, D., Fantus, S., Owen-Anderson, A., … Zucker, K. J. (2013). Patterns of referral to a gender identity service for children and adolescents (1976–2011): Age, sex ratio, and sexual orientation [Letter to the Editor]. Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, 39, 1–6. doi: 10.1080/0092623X.2012.675022.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar