A Dissenting Opinion on DSM-5 Pedophilic Disorder
- 1.1k Downloads
On December 1, 2012, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) announced that its Board of Trustees (BOT) had voted to reject the changes to the diagnostic criteria for pedophilic disorder proposed by the Paraphilias Subworkgroup for DSM-5 and to retain the diagnostic criteria published in DSM-IV-TR.1I was the Chair of the Paraphilias Subworkgroup (one of three Subworkgroups of the Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Workgroup). I am writing this Letter to document my continued personal opposition to this decision, to review the content of the Subworkgroup’s proposed changes and explain the reasons for them, and to speculate on the possible interpretations and implications of the BOT’s decision. By necessity, this Letter will not include an “insider’s view” of specific people, events, or APA politics connected with that decision. All members of DSM-5 Work Groups were required to sign an agreement with the APA that prohibits them from divulging any “confidential information,” which...
KeywordsSexual Preference Sexual Attraction Tanner Stage Prepubertal Child Sexual Object
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text rev.). Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- Frances, A. (2011, December 15). Hebephilia is a crime, not a mental disorder. Available at http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/blog/frances/content/article/10168/2006997.
- Freund, K., Seeley, H. R., Marshall, W. E., & Glinfort, E. K. (1972). Sexual offenders needing special assessment and/or therapy. Canadian Journal of Criminology and Corrections, 14, 3–23.Google Scholar
- Glueck, B. C., Jr. (1955). Final report: Research project for the study and treatment of persons convicted of crimes involving sexual aberrations, June 1952 to June 1955. New York: New York State Department of Mental Hygiene.Google Scholar
- Lykins, A. D., Cantor, J. M., Kuban, M. E., Blak, T., Dickey, R., Klassen, P. E., & Blanchard, R. (2010). Sexual arousal to female children in gynephilic men. Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment, 22, 279–289.Google Scholar
- Tanner, J. M. (1978). Foetus into man: Physical growth from conception to maturity. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (1992). International statistical classification of diseases and related health problems (10th rev., Vol. 1). Geneva, Switzerland: Author.Google Scholar