Seasonal Variation in Internet Keyword Searches: A Proxy Assessment of Sex Mating Behaviors
- 767 Downloads
The current study investigated seasonal variation in internet searches regarding sex and mating behaviors. Harmonic analyses were used to examine the seasonal trends of Google keyword searches during the past 5 years for topics related to pornography, prostitution, and mate-seeking. Results indicated a consistent 6-month harmonic cycle with the peaks of keyword searches related to sex and mating behaviors occurring most frequently during winter and early summer. Such results compliment past research that has found similar seasonal trends of births, sexually transmitted infections, condom sales, and abortions.
KeywordsSex Pornography Google Keyword Seasonal
- Brewer, D. P., Muth, S., Roberts, J. M., Dudeck, J. A., & Woodhouse, D. (2007). Clients of prostitute women: Deterrence, prevalence, characteristics and violence. Washington, DC: National Institute of Justice, US Department of Justice.Google Scholar
- Elam-Evans, L. D., Strauss, L. T., Herndon, J., Parker, W. Y., Whitehead, S., & Berg, C. J. (2002). Abortion surveillance in the United States-1999. Morbidity mortality weekly report. Retrieved May 3, 2011 from http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5109a1.htm.
- Fallows, D. (2005). How men and women use the internet. Pew Internet and American life project. Retrieved May 5, 2011 from, http://www.pewinternet.org/~/media//Files/Reports/2005/PIP_Women_and_Men_online.pdf.pdf.
- Google. (2009). Google trends. Retrieved March 8, 2011, from http://www.google.com/intl/en/trends/about.html.
- Hakim, D., & Rashbaum, W. K. (March 10, 2008). Spitzer is linked to a prostitution ring. New York Times. Retrieved May 3, 2011 from http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/nyregion/10cnd-spitzer.html.
- Markey, P. M., & Markey, C. N. (2012). Pornography seeking behaviors. In Z. Yan (Ed.), Encyclopedia of cyber behavior (pp. 337–346). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.Google Scholar
- Ropelato, J. (2006). Internet pornography statistics. Retrieved May 3, 2011 from http://internet-filter-review.toptenreviews.com/internet-pornography-statistics.html.
- Warner, R. M. (1998). Spectral analysis of time-series data. New York, NY: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- World Bank. (2011). Internet users (per 100 people). Retrieved May 5, 2011 from http://search.worldbank.org/data?qterm=internet%20united%20states&language=EN&format=html.