The effect of domestication on a brown trout (Salmo trutta m fario) broodstock in Hungary
Molecular markers (PCR–RFLP and microsatellite) were used to investigate the genetic background of the only brown trout (Salmo trutta m fario) broodstock in Hungary which due to the hydrogeography of the country should theoretically belong to the Danubian lineage. PCR–RFLP (mitochondrial DNA control region and lactate dehydrogenase and somatolactin genes) as well as microsatellite (BFRO002, OMM1064, Ssa408uos, SsoSL417, SsoSL438) markers were used to distinguish between Danubian and Atlantic lineages of brown trout in the Lillafüred broodstock. Altogether 435 fish were tagged during the experimental period. Due to mortalities, fin clips were collected from 401 individuals. According to the genetic analysis of the mitochondrial DNA, the Danubian haplotype is present in only one individual (0.2 %) of the broodstock. Analysis of the nuclear markers revealed that alleles characteristic of both the Atlantic and the Danubian lineages are found in the population. However, Atlantic alleles dominate throughout the broodstock which is in Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium according to the investigated markers. Results indicate that the original broodstock that was introduced to the farm following its construction in 1933 was of the Atlantic lineage. Although later fish from a local stream were collected and added to the broodstock, the number of these was limited and they were almost exclusively males. Fish from this farm that are stocked by anglers can have a significant genetic impact on trout populations of natural streams.
KeywordsBrown trout Genetics Stocking Population structure
- Bernatchez L, Danzmann RG (1993) Congruence in control-region sequence and restriction-site variation in mitochondrial DNA of Brook Charr (Salvelinus fontinalis Mitchill). Mol Biol Evol 10(5):1002–1014Google Scholar
- Bogataj K (2010) Genetic analysis of native brown trout (Salmo trutta) populations in Slovenia. Thesis, University of LjubljanaGoogle Scholar
- Marić S, Simonović P, Razpet A (2010) Genetic characterization of broodstock brown trout from Bled fish-farm, Slovenia. Period Biol 112:145–148Google Scholar
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T (1989) Molecular cloning. CSH Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NYGoogle Scholar
- Sušnik S, Snoj A, Dovč P (2001) Evolutionary distinctness of grayling (Thymallus thymallus) inhabiting the Adriatic river system, as based on mtDNA variation. Biol J Linnean Soc 74:375–385Google Scholar