Development of a Low-Reynolds-number k-ω Model for FENE-P Fluids
- 409 Downloads
A low-Reynolds-number k-ω model for Newtonian fluids has been developed to predict drag reduction of viscoelastic fluids described by the FENE-P model. The model is an extension to viscoelastic fluids of the model for Newtonian fluids developed by Bredberg et al. (Int J Heat Fluid Flow 23:731–743, 2002). The performance of the model was assessed using results from direct numerical simulations for fully developed turbulent channel flow of FENE-P fluids. It should only be used for drag reductions of up to 50 % (low and intermediate drag reductions), because of the limiting assumption of turbulence isotropy leading to an under-prediction of k, but compares favourably with results from k-ε models in the literature based on turbulence isotropy.
KeywordsDrag reduction Polymer solutions FENE-P k-ω turbulence model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Housiadas, K.D., Beris, A.N., Handler, R.A.: Viscoelastic effects on higher order statistics and coherent structures in turbulent channel flow. Phys. Fluids 17(35106) (2005)Google Scholar
- 20.Nagano, Y., Shimada, M.: Modeling the dissipation-rate equation for two-equation turbulence model. In: Ninth symposium on “Turbulent shear flows”, Kyoto, Japan, 16–18 August (1993)Google Scholar
- 24.Wilcox, D.C.: Turbulence modeling for CFD, 1st edn. DCW Industries Inc., La Cañada, California (1993)Google Scholar
- 34.Bird, R.B., Armstrong, R.C., Hassager, O.: Dynamics of Polymeric Liquids, vol. 1: Fluids Mechanics, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York (1987)Google Scholar
- 35.Bird, R.B., Armstrong, R.C., Hassager, O.: Dynamics of Polymeric Liquids, vol. 2: Kinetic Theory, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York (1987)Google Scholar
- 36.Resende, P.R.: Turbulence models for viscoelastic fluids. PhD thesis, University of Porto (2010)Google Scholar
- 38.Younis, B.A.: EXPRESS: A Computer Programme for Two-Dimensional Turbulent Boundary Layer Flow. Departament of Civil Engineering, City University, London, UK (1987)Google Scholar
- 39.Resende, P.R., Pinho, F.T., Cruz, D.O.A.: A Reynolds stress model for turbulent pipe flow of viscoelastic fluids. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the First National Conference on Numerical Methods for Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Costa da Caparica, Lisboa, Portugal, 8–9 June 2006Google Scholar