Challenges Associated with the Use of Policy to Identify and Manage Risk for Suicide and Interpersonal Violence Among Veterans and Other Americans
- 25 Downloads
This project was supported, in part, by Grant #5R49CE001170 from the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, CDC, to the West Virginia University Injury Control Research Center directed by R. Bossarte.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
Dr. Bossarte declares that he has no conflict of interest.
Human and Animal Participants
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Barnes, S. M., Monteith, L. L., Gerard, G. R., Hoffberg, A. S., Homaifar, B. Y., & Brenner, L. A. (2017). Problem-solving therapy for suicide prevention in veterans with moderate-to-severe traumatic brain injury. Rehabilitation Psychology, 62(4), 600–608. https://doi.org/10.1037/rep0000154.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2018). Web-based interactive statistical query and reporting system (WISQARS). www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars. Accessed 2 May 2018.
- Conner, K. R., Bohnert, A. S., McCarthy, J. F., Valenstein, M., Bossarte, R., Ignacio, R., … Ilgen, M. A. (2013). Mental disorder comorbidity and suicide among 2.96 million men receiving care in the Veterans Health Administration health system. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 122(1), 256–263. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0030163.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Conner, K. R., Bossarte, R. M., He, H., Arora, J., Lu, N., Tu, X. M., & Katz, I. R. (2014). Posttraumatic stress disorder and suicide in 5.9 million individuals receiving care in the veterans health administration health system. Journal of Affective Disorders, 166, 1–5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2014.04.067.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Deisenhammer, E. A., Schmid, S. K., Kemmler, G., Moser, B., & Delazer, M. (2018). Decision making under risk and under ambiguity in depressed suicide attempters, depressed non-attempters and healthy controls. Journal of Affective Disorders, 226, 261–266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2017.10.012.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Department of Veterans Affairs. (2016). Suicide among Veterans and Other Americans. 2001–2014. Retrieved from Washington D.C.Google Scholar
- Department of Veterans Affairs. (2017). VA REACH VET Initiative Helps Save Veterans LIves; program signals when more help is needed for at-risk veterans. The Reach Vet press release. https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2878.
- Goldstick, J. E., Carter, P. M., Walton, M. A., Dahlberg, L. L., Sumner, S. A., Zimmerman, M. A., & Cunningham, R. M. (2017). Development of the SaFETy score: A clinical screening tool for predicting future firearm violence risk. Annals of Internal Medicine, 166(10), 707–714. https://doi.org/10.7326/m16-1927.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Gunnell, D., Knipe, D., Chang, S. S., Pearson, M., Konradsen, F., Lee, W. J., & Eddleston, M. (2017). Prevention of suicide with regulations aimed at restricting access to highly hazardous pesticides: A systematic review of the international evidence. The Lancet Global Health, 5(10), e1026–e1037. https://doi.org/10.1016/s2214-109x(17)30299-1.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kessler, R. C., Hwang, I., Hoffmire, C. A., McCarthy, J. F., Petukhova, M. V., Rosellini, A. J., … Bossarte, R. M. (2017). Developing a practical suicide risk prediction model for targeting high-risk patients in the Veterans health Administration. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research. https://doi.org/10.1002/mpr.1575.Google Scholar
- McCarthy, J. F., Bossarte, R. M., Katz, I. R., Thompson, C., Kemp, J., Hannemann, C. M. … Schoenbaum, M. (2015). Predictive modeling and concentration of the risk of suicide: Implications for preventive interventions in the US Department of veterans affairs. American Journal of Public Health, 105(9), 1935–1942. https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.2015.302737.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- McClatchey, K., Murray, J., Rowat, A., & Chouliara, Z. (2017). Risk factors for suicide and suicidal behavior relevant to emergency health care settings: A systematic review of post-2007 reviews. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 47(6), 729–745. https://doi.org/10.1111/sltb.12336.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- National Action Alliance and Office of the U.S. Surgeon General. (2012). 2012 National Strategy for suicide prevention: Goals and objectives for action: A report of the U.S. Surgeon General and of the National Action alliance for suicide prevention. Retrieved from Washington D.C.Google Scholar
- Pirkis, J., Too, L. S., Spittal, M. J., Krysinska, K., Robinson, J., & Cheung, Y. T. (2015). Interventions to reduce suicides at suicide hotspots: A systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet Psychiatry, 2(11), 994–1001. https://doi.org/10.1016/s2215-0366(15)00266-7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Swanson, J., Easter, M., Brancu, M., & Fairbank, J. (2018). Informing federal policy on firearm restrictions for Veterans with fiduciaries: Risk indicators in the Post-Deployment Mental health Study. Administration in Mental Health and Mental health Services Research.Google Scholar
- Szanto, K., Galfalvy, H., Vanyukov, P. M., Keilp, J. G., & Dombrovski, A. Y. (2018). Pathways to late-life suicidal behavior: Cluster analysis and predictive validation of suicidal behavior in a sample of older adults with major depression. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.17m11611.PubMedGoogle Scholar