Free vibration of non-uniform axially functionally graded beams using the asymptotic development method
- 122 Downloads
The asymptotic development method is applied to analyze the free vibration of non-uniform axially functionally graded (AFG) beams, of which the governing equations are differential equations with variable coefficients. By decomposing the variable flexural stiffness and mass per unit length into reference invariant and variant parts, the perturbation theory is introduced to obtain an approximate analytical formula of the natural frequencies of the non-uniform AFG beams with different boundary conditions. Furthermore, assuming polynomial distributions of Young’s modulus and the mass density, the numerical results of the AFG beams with various taper ratios are obtained and compared with the published literature results. The discussion results illustrate that the proposed method yields an effective estimate of the first three order natural frequencies for the AFG tapered beams. However, the errors increase with the increase in the mode orders especially for the cases with variable heights. In brief, the asymptotic development method is verified to be simple and efficient to analytically study the free vibration of non-uniform AFG beams, and it could be used to analyze any tapered beams with an arbitrary varying cross width.
Key wordsaxially functionally graded (AFG) beam non-uniform natural frequency asymptotic development method
Chinese Library ClassificationO242
2010 Mathematics Subject Classification74S05
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- NIU, Y., HAO, Y., YAO, M., ZHANG, W., and YANG, S. Nonlinear dynamics of imperfect FGM conical panel. Shock and Vibration, 2018, 4187386 (2018)Google Scholar
- YANG, X., WANG, S., ZHANG, W., QIN, Z., and YANG, T. Dynamic analysis of a rotating tapered cantilever Timoshenko beam based on the power series method. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (English Edition), 38(10), 1425–1438 (2017) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10483-017-2249-6 MathSciNetCrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- YAN, Q. Y., DING, H., and CHEN, L. Q. Nonlinear dynamics of axially moving viscoelastic Timoshenko beam under parametric and external excitations. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (English Edition), 36(8), 971–984 (2015) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10483-015-1966-7 MathSciNetCrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- XIE, X., ZHENG, H., and ZOU, X. An integrated spectral collocation approach for the static and free vibration analyses of axially functionally graded nonuniform beams. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 231(13), 2459–2471 (2016)Google Scholar
- RAO, S. S. Vibration of Continuonus Systems, John Wiley & Sons, Canada, 317–326 (2007)Google Scholar