Dynamics and chaos control of a duopolistic Bertrand competitions under environmental taxes
- 162 Downloads
This paper investigates the difference between price and quantity competition in a mixed duopoly game. We describe the behavior of a duopolistic Bertrand competition market with environmental taxes. There are two cases. In the first, the public firm is privatized and in the second, it is not privatized. In case I, private duopoly (postprivatization) where players use different production methods and choose their prices with (bounded rationality and naive). In case II, mixed duopoly (preprivatization) in this case there are two levels for the market including standard objective of the private firm is to maximize profits and including another objective function of the public firm namely “private welfare maximization”. We study numerically the dynamical behaviors of the models. The Nash equilibrium loses stability through a period-doubling bifurcation and the market in the end gets to be disordered. The disordered behavior of the market has been controlled by using feedback control method.
KeywordsPrice competition Quantity competition Environmental taxes Delay feedback control
- Bertrand, J. (1883). Thorie mathmatique de la richesse sociale. Journal des Savants, 48, 499–508.Google Scholar
- Bhattacharjee, T., & Pal, R. (2013). Price vs. quantity in duopoly with strategic delegation: Role of network externalitie. Mumbai: Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research. http://www.igidr.ac.in/pdf/publication/WP-2013-010.pdf.
- Carraro, C., & Soubeyaran, A. (1996). Environmental taxation, market share, and profits in oligopoly. In C. Carraro, Y. Katsoulacos, A. Xepapadeas (Eds.), Environmental policy and market structure (pp. 23–44).Google Scholar
- Cournot, A. (1838). Rcherches sur les principes mathmatiques de la thorie des richesses. Paris: Dunod.Google Scholar
- D-Teleszynski, T. (2010). Complex dynamics in a Bertrand duopoly game with heterogeneous players. Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, 2, 95–116.Google Scholar
- Elabbasy, E. M., Agiza, H. N., EL-Metwally, H., & Elsadany, A. A. (2007). Bifurcation analysis, chaos and control in the Burgers mapping. International Journal of Nonlinear Science, 4, 171–185.Google Scholar
- Elabbasy, E. M., Agiza, H. N., Elsadany, A. A., & EL-Metwally, H. (2007). The dynamics of triopoly game with heterogeneous players. International Journal of Nonlinear Science, 3, 83–90.Google Scholar
- Hu, R., & Xia, H-s. (2011). Chaotic dynamics in differentiated Bertrand model with heterogeneous players. In Grey systems and intelligent services (GSIS), IEEE international conference (pp. 675–678).Google Scholar
- Jury, E. I., & Blanchard, J. (1961). A stability test for linear discrete systems in table form. Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers, 49, 1947–1948.Google Scholar
- Kangsik, C. (2012). Cournot and Bertrand competition with asymmetric costs in a mixed duopoly revisited. http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/37704/. MPRA Paper No. 37704, posted 28. March 2012 12:29 UTC.
- Kopel, M. (2014). Price and quantity contracts in a mixed duopoly with a socially concerned firm. Managerial and Decision Economics. https://doi.org/10.1002/mde.2707.
- Liu, J., Liu, G., Li, N. & Xu, H. (2014). Dynamics analysis of game and chaotic control in the Chinese fixed broadband telecom market. Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, vol. 2014, Article ID 275123, 8 pages.Google Scholar
- Ma, J., Zhang, F., & He, Y. (2014). Complexity analysis of a master-slave oligopoly model and chaos control. Abstract and Applied Analysis, vol. 2014, Article ID 970205, 13 pages.Google Scholar
- Sun, L., & Ma, J. (2015). Study and simulation on discrete dynamics of Bertrand triopoly team-game. Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2015, Article ID 960380, 12 pages.Google Scholar
- Wang, H., & Ma, J. (2013). Complexity analysis of a Cournot–Bertrand duopoly game model with limited information. Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, vol. 2013, Article ID 287371, 6 pages.Google Scholar
- Wu, F., & Ma, J. (2014). The stability, bifurcation and chaos of a duopoly game in the market of complementary products with mixed bundling pricing. Wseas Transactions on Mathematics, 13, 374–384.Google Scholar
- Xin, B., & Li, Y. (2013). Bifurcation and chaos in a price game of irrigation water in a coastal irrigation district. Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, vol. 2013, Article ID 408904, 10 pages.Google Scholar
- Yali, L. (2015). Analysis of duopoly output game with different decision-making rules. Management Science and Engineering, 9, 19–24.Google Scholar
- Zhang, J., & Wang, Y. (2013). Complex dynamics of Bertrand duopoly games with bounded rationality. International Journal of Social, Education, Economics and Management Engineering, 7, 795–799.Google Scholar