The impact of covariance misspecification in risk-based portfolios
- 504 Downloads
The equal-risk-contribution, inverse-volatility weighted, maximum-diversification and minimum-variance portfolio weights are all direct functions of the estimated covariance matrix. We perform a Monte Carlo study to assess the impact of covariance matrix misspecification to these risk-based portfolios at the daily, weekly and monthly forecasting horizon. Our results show that the equal-risk-contribution and inverse-volatility weighted portfolio weights are relatively robust to covariance misspecification. In contrast, the minimum-variance portfolio weights are highly sensitive to errors in both the estimated variances and correlations, while errors in the estimated correlations can have a large effect on the weights of the maximum-diversification portfolio.
KeywordsCovariance misspecification Monte Carlo study Risk-based portfolios
- Ardia, D., Boudt, K., Gagnon-Fleury, J.-P. (2017). RiskPortfolios: Computation of risk-based portfolios in R. Journal of Open Source Software, 2(10). doi: 10.21105/joss.00171.
- Bertrand, P., & Lapointe, V. (2015). Risk-based strategies: The social responsibility of investment universes does matter. Annals of Operations Research, 1–17. doi: 10.1007/s10479-015-2081-4.
- Engle, R. F., & Sheppard, K. (2001). Theoretical and empirical properties of dynamic conditional correlation multivariate GARCH. Tech. rep., National Bureau of Economic Research.Google Scholar
- Ghalanos, A. (2012). rmgarch: Multivariate GARCH models. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rmgarch/index.html.
- Ghysels, E., Rubia, A., & Valkanov, R. (2009). Multi-period forecasts of volatility: Direct, iterated and mixed-data approaches. Working paper. https://ssrn.com/abstract=1344742.
- Kim, W. C., Kim, J. H., Ahn, S. H., & Fabozzi, F. J. (2013). What do robust equity portfolio models really do? Annals of Operations Research, 205, 141–168. doi: 10.1007/s10479-012-1247-6.
- Kolanovic, M., Kaplan, B., & Mehra, A. (2015). Technical selling: How low can it push equities? J.P. Morgan market and volatility commentary note. Available at: www.jpmorganmarkets.com.
- Meucci, A. (2001). Common pitfalls in mean-variance asset allocation. Wilmott Magazine.Google Scholar
- R Core Team. (2015). R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. http://www.R-project.org/.
- RiskMetrics Group. (1996). RiskMetrics Technical Document. J. P. Morgan/Reuters, (4th ed.).Google Scholar
- Schumann, E. (2013). Take-the-best in portfolio selection. Working paper. https://ssrn.com/abstract=2214376.