Detecting robust cliques in graphs subject to uncertain edge failures
- 201 Downloads
This paper develops and compares several heuristic approaches, as well as an exact combinatorial branch-and-bound algorithm, for detecting maximum robust cliques in graphs subjected to multiple uncertain edge failures. The desired robustness properties are enforced using conditional value-at-risk measure. The proposed heuristics are adaptations of the well-known tabu search and GRASP methods, whereas the exact approach is an extension of Östergård’s algorithm for the maximum clique problem. The results of computational experiments on DIMACS graph instances are reported.
KeywordsMaximum clique Robust clique Conditional value-at-risk Heuristic Tabu search GRASP
The authors would like to thank two anonymous referees whose suggestions helped to improve the paper. This material is based upon work supported by the AFRL Mathematical Modeling and Optimization Institute. Partial support by AFOSR under Grants FA9550-12-1-0103 and FA8651-12-2-0011, as well as the U.S. Department of Energy grant DE-SC0002051 is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Abello, J., Pardalos, P. M., & Resende, M. G. C. (1999). On maximum clique problems in very large graphs. DIMACS Series, 50, 119–130.Google Scholar
- Bomze, I. M., Budinich, M., Pardalos, P. M., & Pelillo, M. (1999). The maximum clique problem. In Handbook of Combinatorial Optimization, (pp. 1–74). Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Corno, F., Prinetto, P., & Sonza Reorda, M. (1995). Using symbolic techniques to find the maximum clique in very large sparse graphs. In Proceedings of the 1995 European conference on Design and Test, EDTC ’95, (pp. 320–324), Washington, DC, USA, 1995. IEEE Computer Society.Google Scholar
- Deane, C. M., Salwiński, L., Xenarios, I., & Eisenberg, D. (2002). Protein interactions: two methods for assessment of the reliability of high throughput observations. Molecular & Cellular Proteomics, 1(5), 349–356.Google Scholar
- Deng, M., Sun, F., & Chen, T. (2002). Assessment of the reliability of protein–protein interactions and protein function prediction. In Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing (PSB 2003), (pp. 140–151), 2002.Google Scholar
- DIMACS. NP Hard Problems: Maximum Clique, Graph Coloring, and Satisfiability. The Second DIMACS Implementation Challenge. http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Challenges/, 1992–1993.
- DIMACS. Algorithm Implementation Challenge: Graph Partitioning and Graph Clustering. The Tenth DIMACS Implementation Challenge. http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Challenges/, 2012.
- Hintsanen, P. (2007). The most reliable subgraph problem. In Knowledge Discovery in Databases: PKDD 2007, (pp. 471–478). Springer, 2007.Google Scholar
- Jin, R., Liu, L., & Aggarwal, C. (2011). Discovering highly reliable subgraphs in uncertain graphs. In Proceedings of the 17th ACM SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge discovery and data mining, (pp. 992–1000). ACM, 2011.Google Scholar
- Krokhmal, P., Murphey, R., Pardalos, P. M., Uryasev, S., & Zrazhevski, G. (2003). Robust decision making: Addressing uncertainties in distributions. In S. Butenko, R. Murphey, & P. M. Pardalos (Eds.), Cooperative Control: Models, Applications and Algorithms, volume 1 of Cooperative Systems (pp. 165–185). New York: Springer.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu, L., Jin, R., Aggarwal, C., & Shen, Y. (2012). Reliable clustering on uncertain graphs. In ICDM, (pp. 459–468). Citeseer, 2012.Google Scholar
- Palmquist, J., Krohmal, P., & Uryasev, S. (2002). Portfolio optimization with conditional value-at-risk objective and constraints. The Journal of Risk, 2, 11–27.Google Scholar
- Tomita, E., & Seki, T. (2003). An efficient branch-and-bound algorithm for finding a maximum clique. In C. Calude, M. Dinneen, & V. Vajnovszki (Eds.), Discrete mathematics and theoretical computer science, volume 2731 of lecture notes in computer science (pp. 278–289). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Yannakakis, M. (1978). Node-and edge-deletion np-complete problems. In Proceedings of the 10th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1978.Google Scholar
- Zou, Z., Li, J., Gao, H., & Zhang, S. (2010). Finding top-\(k\) maximal cliques in an uncertain graph. In Proceedings of the 26th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), (pp. 649–652). IEEE, 2010.Google Scholar