An Owen-type value for games with two-level communication structure
We introduce an Owen-type value for games with two-level communication structure, which is a structure where the players are partitioned into a coalition structure such that there exists restricted communication between as well as within the a priori unions of the coalition structure. Both types of communication restrictions are modeled by an undirected communication graph. We provide an axiomatic characterization of the new value using an efficiency, two types of fairness (one for each level of the communication structure), and a new type of axiom, called fair distribution of the surplus within unions, which compares the effect of replacing a union in the coalition structure by one of its maximal connected components on the payoffs of these components. The relevance of the new value is illustrated by an example. We also show that for particular two-level communication structures the Owen value and the Aumann–Drèze value for games with coalition structure, the Myerson value for communication graph games, and the equal surplus division solution appear as special cases of this new value.
KeywordsTU game Coalition structure Communication graph Owen value Myerson value
- Béal, S., Casajus,A. , & Huettner,F. (2013). Efficient extensions of communication values, Working paper.Google Scholar
- Casajus, A. (2007). An efficient value for TU games with a cooperation structure, Working paper, Universität Leipzig, Germany.Google Scholar
- Khmelnitskaya, A. (2014). Values for games with two-level communication structures. Discrete Applied Mathematics, 166, 34–50. An earlier version entitled “Values for graph-restricted games with coalition structure” is available as Memorandum 2007–1848 of the Department of Applied Mathematics of University of Twente.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kongo, T. (2007). Cooperative games with two-level networks, 21COE-GLOPE Working Paper Series, Waseda University, Tokyo. Japan. A modified version of this paper is published as Kongo, T. (2011), Value of games with two-layered hypergraphs. Mathematical Social Sciences, 62, 114–119.Google Scholar
- Shapley, L. S. (1953). A value for \(n\)-person games. In A. W. Tucker & H. W. Kuhn (Eds.), Contributions to the theory of games II (pp. 307–317). Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar