How Has the Economic Downturn Affected Communities and Implementation of Science-Based Prevention in the Randomized Trial of Communities That Care?
This study examined implications of the economic downturn that began in December 2007 for the Community Youth Development Study (CYDS), a longitudinal randomized controlled trial of the Communities That Care (CTC) prevention system. The downturn had the potential to affect the internal validity of the CYDS research design and implementation of science-based prevention in study communities. We used archival economic indicators and community key leader reports of economic conditions to assess the extent of the economic downturn in CYDS communities and potential internal validity threats. We also examined whether stronger economic downturn effects were associated with a decline in science-based prevention implementation. Economic indicators suggested the downturn affected CYDS communities to different degrees. We found no evidence of systematic differences in downturn effects in CTC compared to control communities that would threaten internal validity of the randomized trial. The Community Economic Problems scale was a reliable measure of community economic conditions, and it showed criterion validity in relation to several objective economic indicators. CTC coalitions continued to implement science-based prevention to a significantly greater degree than control coalitions 2 years after the downturn began. However, CTC implementation levels declined to some extent as unemployment, the percentage of students qualifying for free lunch, and community economic problems worsened. Control coalition implementation levels were not related to economic conditions before or after the downturn, but mean implementation levels of science-based prevention were also relatively low in both periods.
KeywordsPrevention Community coalition Efficacy trial Economic downturn Internal validity
This study was supported by research grant R01 DA015183-03 from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, with co-funding from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, the National Cancer Institute, the National Institute of Mental Health, the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. The content of this article is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the funding agencies.
- Bureau of Economic Analysis. (2011). Table 2.3.4. Price indexes for personal consumption expenditures by major type of product. Line 1: Personal consumption expenditures, 2004–2010. Retrieved August 10, 2011 from http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb/TableView.asp?SelectedTable=64&ViewSeries=NO&Java=no&Request3Place=N&3Place=N&FromView=YES&Freq=Year&FirstYear=2000&LastYear=2011&3Place=N&Update=Update&JavaBox=no.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2011a). County data: Tables: Labor force data by county. 2004 annual averages—2010 annual averages. Retrieved August 10, 2011 from http://www.bls.gov/lau/#tables.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2011b). Labor force statistics from the Current Population Survey: Unemployment level. Retrieved August 10, 2011 from http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNU03000000?years_option=all_years&periods_option=specific_periods&periods=Annual+Data.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2011c). Labor force statistics from the Current Population Survey: Unemployment rate. Retrieved August 10, 2011 from http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNU04000000?years_option=all_years&periods_option=specific_periods&periods=Annual+Data.
- Colorado Department of Education. (2011). District level data: K-12 free and reduced lunch eligibility by county, and district. Retrieved June 15, 2011 from http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdereval/rv2010pmlinks.htm.
- Fagan, A. A., Arthur, M. W., Hanson, K., Briney, J. S., & Hawkins, J. D. (2011). Effects of Communities That Care on the adoption and implementation fidelity of evidence-based prevention programs in communities: Results from a randomized controlled trial. Prevention Science, 12, 223–234.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Federal Reserve Board of Governors. (2012). Economic projections of Federal Reserve Board members and Federal Reserve Bank presidents, June 2012. Retrieved July 1, 2012 from http://federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/monetary/20120620b.htm.
- Hawkins, J. D., Oesterle, S., Brown, E. C., Arthur, M. W., Abbott, R. D., Fagan, A. A., et al. (2009). Results of a type 2 translational research trial to prevent adolescent drug use and delinquency: A test of Communities That Care. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 163, 789–798.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hawkins, J. D., Oesterle, S., Brown, E. C., Monahan, K. C., Abbott, R. D., Arthur, M. W., et al. (2012). Sustained decreases in risk exposure and youth problem behaviors after installation of the Communities That Care prevention system in a randomized trial. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 166, 141–148.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Howell, D. C. (2010). Fundamental statistics for the behavioral sciences (7th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.Google Scholar
- Illinois State Board of Education. (2011). Free and reduced-price meal eligibility data. Retrieved June 15, 2011 from http://www.isbe.state.il.us/nutrition/htmls/eligibility_listings.htm.
- Kansas State Department of Education. (2011). Free and reduced enrollment (USD Totals). 2004–2005 free and reduced enrollment percentages (USD Totals)—2010–2011 free and reduced enrollment percentages (USD totals). Retrieved June 15, 2011 from http://www.ksde.org/Default.aspx?tabid=1870.
- Maine Department of Education. (2011). ED534—% Free and reduced school lunch report: Fiscal years 2005–2011, District level report. Retrieved June 15, 2011 from https://portal.maine.gov/sfsr/sfsrdev.ed534.ed534_parameters.
- Mortgage Bankers Association. (2010). Press release: Delinquencies and loans in foreclosure decrease, but foreclosure starts rise in latest MBA National Delinquency Survey. Retrieved November 7, 2011 from http://www.mortgagebankers.org/NewsandMedia/PressCenter/74733.htm.
- National Center for Education Statistics. (2011). Common core of data: Build A Table. District level, 2004–2005 school year, students in special programs: Total free and reduced lunch students, Colorado, Utah. Retrieved June 15, 2011 from http://nces.ed.gov/ccd/bat/.
- National Governors Association and the National Association of State Budget Officers. (2011). The fiscal survey of states, Spring 2011. Retrieved November 7, 2011 from http://www.nasbo.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=yNV8Jv3X7Is%3d&tabid=38.
- Oregon Department of Education. (2011). Students eligible for free or reduced lunch. School years 2004–2005 through 2010–2011. Retrieved June 15, 2011 from http://www.ode.state.or.us/sfda/reports/r0061select.asp.
- Raudenbush, S. W., & Bryk, A. S. (2002). Hierarchical linear models: Applications and data analysis methods (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Rhew, I. C., Brown, E. C., Hawkins, J. D., & Briney, J. S. (2012). Sustained effects of the Communities That Care system on prevention service system transformation. American Journal of Public Health. Advance online publication. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300567.
- Standard and Poors. (2011). Annual rates of change continue to improve according to the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices, 25-Oct-2011. Retrieved November 7, 2011 from http://us.spindices.com/documents/index-announcements/CSHomePrice_Release_102512.pdf.
- State of Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction. (2011). Child nutrition, free and reduced-price meals eligibility (October count) by school district in county order, 2004–2010. Retrieved June 15, 2011 from http://www.k12.wa.us/ChildNutrition/Reports/FreeReducedMeals.aspx.
- Statistical and Measurement Unit. (1993). Iowa Youth and Families Project (IYFP) Wave C, 1991. Ames, IA: Iowa State University.Google Scholar
- United States Census Bureau. (2011a). Small area income and poverty estimates. State and county data files, 2004–2009. Retrieved August 10, 2011 from http://www.census.gov/did/www/saipe/data/statecounty/data/index.html.
- United States Census Bureau. (2011b). Table 2: Poverty status of people by family relationship, race, and Hispanic origin: 1959–2010, & Table 3: Poverty status of people by age, race, and Hispanic origin: 1959–2010. Retrieved December 14, 2011 from http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/data/historical/people.html.
- United States Census Bureau. (2011c). Table F-6: Regions—Families (all races) by median and mean income: 1953–2010. Retrieved December 14, 2011 from http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/data/historical/families/.
- Utah State Office of Education. (2011). Free and reduced price lunch, October survey, October 2005–October 2010. Retrieved June15, 2011 from http://www.schools.utah.gov/data/Educational-Data/Free-and-Reduced-Price-Lunch.aspx.