Sexual Pleasure and Intimacy Among Men Who Engage in “Bareback Sex”
- 513 Downloads
An ethnically diverse sample of 120 mostly gay-identified men who engaged in “bareback” intercourse was recruited via the Internet in New York City. By study design three quarters of participants were HIV-uninfected and engaged in condomless receptive anal intercourse. In the course of face-to-face in-depth interviews, participants were asked what led them to have their first bareback experience as well as to continue with the behavior. Qualitative analysis identified the pivotal role that sexual pleasure and intimacy have in this population and how drives for sexual satisfaction, adventure, intimacy, and love overpower health concerns and condom use recommendations. Men interested in bareback sex use a variety of defense mechanisms to account for, justify, and exonerate their behavior. HIV-prevention interventions have paid insufficient attention to libidinal drives, a crucial element of psychological functioning.
KeywordsBareback Gay Homosexual Risk
This research was supported by a grant from the US National Institute of Mental Health (R01 MH69333; Principal Investigator: Alex Carballo-Diéguez, Ph.D.).
- 5.Bronfenbrenner U. Ecological models of human development. In: Gauvain M, Cole M, editors. International encyclopedia of education, vol. 3. 2nd ed. Oxford: Elsevier; 1994. p. 1643–7.Google Scholar
- 6.Freud S. Das Ich und das Es. Leipzig, Germany: Internationaler Psycho-analytischer, 1923; English translation, The Ego and the Id. London: Hogarth Press, 1927. In: Strachey J, editor. The standard edition of the complete psychological works of Sigmund Freud, vol. 19. Toronto: Clarke, Irwin and Company; 1961. p. 12–27.Google Scholar
- 7.Bettelheim B. Freud and man’s soul. New York: Alfred A. Knopf; 1983.Google Scholar
- 8.Freud S. New introductory lectures on psycho-analysis. New York: W.W. Norton; 1933.Google Scholar
- 16.Crossley ML. The perils of health promotion and the ‘barebacking’ backlash. Health. 2002;6:47–68.Google Scholar