Uneven and unequal people-centered development: the case of Fair Trade and Malawi sugar producers
This paper advances critical Fair Trade literature by exploring reasons for and lessons from uneven and unequal lived experiences of Fairtrade certification. Fieldwork was conducted in 2007 and 2008 to explore views and develop interpretations from various actors directly and indirectly participating in a Fairtrade certified sugar organization in Malawi. By exploring an embedded social and political context in a production place, and challenging assumptions and expectations of a Fair Trade community empowerment approach, research reveals intended and unintended consequences since certification. Findings propose lessons to adopt more nuanced understandings of place and context in Fair Trade approaches to facilitate more balanced community empowerment outcomes.
KeywordsFair Trade Community Empowerment Sugar Malawi
African Caribbean Pacific
Cane Supply Agreement
Division of proceeds
Fairtrade Labeling Organizations International
Fairtrade Social Premium
Fair Trade Organization
Good Agricultural Practice
Global Production Networks
Global value chain
Kasinthula Cane Growers Limited (in Malawi)
- Bedford, A., M.E. Blowfield, D.G. Burnett, and P. Greenhalgh. 2002. Value chains: Lessons from the cocoa and tea sectors. Greenwich: NRI.Google Scholar
- Bolwig, S., S. Ponte, and A. du Toit. 2008. Integrating poverty, gender, and environmental concerns into value chain analysis. Copenhagen: Danish Institute for International Studies, DIIS working paper no. 2008/16.Google Scholar
- Coe, N., and M. Hess. 2007. Global production networks: challenges and debates. GPERG workshop University of Manchester, 25–26 January 2007. http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/geography/research/gpe/downloads/Manchester_Jan07_positionpaper_final.pdf. Accessed 11 Feb 2009.
- Daviron, B., and S. Ponte. 2005. The coffee paradox. London: Zed Books Ltd.Google Scholar
- DEFRA. 2006. Reform of the EU sugar regime. London: DEFRA.Google Scholar
- DFID 1999. Sustainable livelihoods guidance sheets. http://training.itcilo.it/decentwork/staffconf2002/presentations/SLA%20Guidance%20notes%20Section%202.pdf. Accessed 17 July 2007.
- Eberhart, N. 2006. Summary of the Fair Trade impact study concerning small farming organizations and families and their lands in the Yungas coffee region, Bolivia. Lyon: AVSF.Google Scholar
- FLO. 2009a. A charter of Fair Trade principles. http://www.fairtrade. net/fileadmin/user_upload/content/2009/about_us/documents/Fair_Trade_Charter.pdf. Accessed 15 Sept 2009.
- FLO. 2009b. Generic Fairtrade standards for small producers’ organizations. http://www.fairtrade.net/fileadmin/user_upload/content/2009/standards/documents/Aug09_EN_SPO_Standards.pdf. Accessed 15 Sept 2009.
- Hickey, S., and G. Mohan. 2004. Participation: from tyranny to transformation? Exploring new approaches to participation in development. London: Zed.Google Scholar
- Hudson, R. 2005. Economic geographies: Circuits, flows and spaces. London and Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.Google Scholar
- Humphrey, J. 2005. Shaping value chains for development: Global value chains in agribusiness. Frankfurt: GTZ.Google Scholar
- Illovo. 2008. World of sugar 2008. http://www.illovosugar.com/ World_of_sugar/WorldSugarPricesandUpdates.aspx. Accessed 23 March 2009.
- Jaffee, D. 2007. Brewing justice. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Lacey, S. 2009. Beyond a fair price: The co-operative movement and Fair Trade. Manchester: Co-operative College, Paper 14.Google Scholar
- Luttrell, C., S. Quiroz, C. Scrutton, and K. Bird. 2007. Understanding and operationalizing empowerment. Berne, London: SDC, ODI.Google Scholar
- Mayoux, L. 2001. Impact assessment of Fair Trade and ethical enterprise development. EDIAIS paper. http://www.sed.man.ac.uk/research/iarc/ediais/pdf/IAofFairTrade.pdf. Accessed 1 Dec 2005.
- Mendez, V.E. 2002. Fair Trade networks in two coffee cooperatives of western El Salvador. Fort Collins: Colorado State University.Google Scholar
- Morrison, J., A. Dorward, J. Kydd, C. Poulton, and L. Smith. 2000. Sustainable livelihoods and new institutional economics. http://www.livelihoods.org/PIP/pip/nieint.html. Accessed 24 July 2007.
- Murray, D.L., L.T. Raynolds, and P.L. Taylor. 2003. One cup at a time: Poverty alleviation and Fair Trade coffee in Latin America. Fort Collins: Colorado State University.Google Scholar
- Neilson, J., and B. Pritchard. 2009. Value chain struggles: institutions and governance in the plantation districts of South India. Chichester, West Sussex, England, and Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Nicholls, A., and C. Opal. 2005. Fair Trade: Market-driven ethical consumption. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- NSO. 2006. Malawi international merchandise trade statistics http://www.nso.malawi.net/data_on_line/economics/Trade%20on%20NSO%20website/Trade_Index.html. Accessed 4 March 2009.
- Pinder, C. 2004. Economic pathways for Malawi’s rural households. London: CARE Malawi.Google Scholar
- Prieto, M., C. Seeley, and D.F. Murphy. 2004. Supply chain codes of conduct and Fair Trade initiatives. Chapter 13, Trade and gender: Opportunities and challenges for developing countries. New York: United Nations.Google Scholar
- Raynolds, L.T. 2002. Poverty alleviation through participation in Fair Trade coffee networks: existing research and critical issues. Background paper prepared for project funded by the Community and Resource Development Program, The Ford Foundation, New York.Google Scholar
- Raynolds, L.T., D. Murray, and J. Wilkinson. 2007. Fair Trade. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Ronchi, L. 2002. The impact of Fair Trade on producers and their organizations. University of Sussex, PRUS working paper no. 11.Google Scholar
- Sen, A.K. 1999. Development as freedom. New York: Knopf.Google Scholar
- Slob, B. 2006. A fair share for smallholders: A value chain analysis of the coffee sector. Amsterdam: SOMO.Google Scholar
- UNICEF. 2006. The Malawi social cash transfer pilot scheme, preliminary lessons learned. http://www.unicef.org/policyanalysis/files/The_Malawi_Social_Cash_Transfer_Pilot_Scheme__Preliminary_Lessons_Learned.pdf . Accessed 2 May 2008.