Determination of the energetic topography of bivariate heterogeneous surfaces from adsorption isotherms
- 91 Downloads
The reversible adsorption process occurring on patchwise heterogeneous bivariate surfaces is studied by Monte Carlo simulation and mean-field approximation. These surfaces are characterized by a collection of deep and shallow adsorbing patches with a typical length scale l. Patches can be either arranged in a deterministic chessboard structure or in a random way. Previous studies showed that the topography of a given surface can be obtained from the knowledge of the corresponding adsorption isotherm and a reference curve. In the present work, we discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using different reference curves. One of the main consequences of this analysis is to provide an improved method for the determination of the energetic topography of the surface from adsorption measurements.
KeywordsLattice-gas models Adsorption thermodynamics Heterogeneous surfaces Monte Carlo simulations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hill, T.L.: An Introduction to Statistical Thermodynamics. Addison Wesley, New York (1960) Google Scholar
- House, W.A.: In: Everett, D.H. (ed.) Specialist Periodical Reports: Colloid Science, vol. 4, pp. 1–58. Royal Chem. Soc., London (1983) Google Scholar
- Jaroniec, M., Madey, R.: Physical Adsorption on Heterogeneous Solids. Elsevier, Amsterdam (1988) Google Scholar
- Keller, J., Staudt, R.: Gas Adsorption Equilibria: Experimental Methods and Adsorption Isotherms. Springer, Boston (2005) Google Scholar
- Nicholson, D., Parsonage, N.G.: Computer Simulation and the Statistical Mechanics of Adsorption. Academic Press, London (1982) Google Scholar
- Ross, S., Olivier, J.P.: On Physical Adsorption. Interscience, New York (1964) Google Scholar
- Rudzinski, W., Everett, D.H.: Adsorption of Gases on Heterogeneous Surfaces. Academic Press, London (1992) Google Scholar
- Rudzinski, W., Steele, W.A., Zgrablich, G. (eds.): Equilibria and Dynamics of Gas Adsorption on Heterogeneous Solid Surfaces. Elsevier, Amsterdam (1997) Google Scholar
- Steele, W.A.: The Interaction of Gases with Solid Surfaces. Pergamon, Oxford (1974) Google Scholar
- Tóth, J.: Adsorption: Theory, Modeling, and Analysis. Dekker, New York (2002) Google Scholar