Finite element analysis of transient electromagnetic scattering problems
- 85 Downloads
In this paper, Newmark time-stepping scheme and edge elements are used to numerically solve the time-dependent scattering problem in a three-dimensional cavity. Finite element methods based on the variational formulation derived in  are considered. Due to the lack of regularity ofε r , the existence and uniqueness of the discrete solutions and their convergence are proved by using the concept of collectively compact operators. An optimal convergence rate in the energy norm is also established.
KeywordsMaxwell’s equations finite element methods Newmark scheme error estimates stability cavity
AMS subject classification35L05 65M60 78M10 74J20
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Abboud and T. Sayah, Potentiels retardés pour les obstacles homogènes par morceaux, Rapport interne au CMAP, École Polytechnique (1998).Google Scholar
- H. Ammari, G. Bao and A. Wood, A cavity problem for Maxwell’s equations, Methods Math. Appl., to appear.Google Scholar
- C. Amrouche, C. Bernardi, M. Dauge and V. Girault, Vector potentials in three-dimensional non-smooth domains, Math. Methods Appl. Sci. 21 (1998).Google Scholar
- M. Costabel and M. Dauge, Singularities of electromagnetic fields in polyhedral domains, Technical Report, IRMAR, Universitá de Rennes 1, France (1997); available at http://www.maths.univrennes1.fr/∼costabel/.Google Scholar
- M. Eller, V. Isakov, G. Nakamura and D. Tataru,Uniqueness and Stability in the Cauchy Problem for Maxwell’s and Elasticity Systems, eds. D. Cioranescu and J. L. Lions, College de France Seminar, Research Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 14 (Chapman & Hill/CRC, New York) to appear.Google Scholar
- A. Kirsch and P. Monk, A finite element method for approximating electro-magnetic scattering from a conducting object, Preprint (2000).Google Scholar
- K.S. Komisarek, N.N. Wang, A.K. Dominek and R. Hann, An investigation of new FETD/ABC methods of computation of scattering from three-dimensional material objects, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation 47 (1999) 1579–1585.Google Scholar
- T. Van and A. Wood, A time-marching finite element method for an electromagnetic scattering problem, Methods Math. Appl., to appear.Google Scholar