Claudia Näser and Mathias Lange (eds.), Proceedings of the Second International Conference on the Archaeology of the Fourth Nile Cataract (Meroitica 23)
- 72 Downloads
One of the most highly publicised archaeological projects to be mounted in Africa was the 1959–1969 salvage campaign, conducted by over 60 international teams who heeded an appeal by UNESCO, before construction of the High Dam flooded the Nile valley south of Aswan known as Lower Nubia that now lies below Lake Nasser.1
Over thirty years later, Hassan Hussein Idris, Director General of the National Corporation of Antiquities and Museums (NCAM) in Khartoum, made a similar appeal for the 170-km length of the Nile valley between just downriver of Abu Hamed and the Merowe Dam, to be constructed just downriver of the Fourth Cataract by 2008. The project was established as ‘The Merowe Dam Archaeological Salvage Project’ (MDASP), under the direction of Dr. Salah Eldin Mohamed Ahmed, NCAM’s Deputy Director. Whilst preliminary investigations had been underway since 1992, the MDASP formally began with an international meeting of interested participants at the British Museum in May 2003, organised...