Dr. Téréba Togola, National Director of Cultural Heritage (Mali)
In losing Téréba Togola, Africa has lost a man of great industry, talent, personal integrity, and kindness. His friendship was treasured by all who knew him, and there are many who may proudly call themselves his friend, for he made them wherever he travelled. Téréba will be remembered both as a great African field archaeologist and as a true champion for the preservation of the Mali’s heritage sites (Fig. 1).
I first met Téréba in 1986 when we were both students at Rice University, I was an undergraduate, he a student for the MA/PhD. I was trying to improve my French comprehension, and he his English, so we at first made a pact to speak with each other, he in French, myself in English, much to the puzzlement of our fellow students. We shared many lunches together which usually involved strong green tea à la Saheland peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Over the course of a few years of such lunches, I learned Téréba’s life story and came to revere him as a very special individual: a...
KeywordsArchaeological Site Niger Delta National Director Field Archaeologist Salvage Archaeology
- Holl, A. (2000). Metals and Precolonial African Society. In J. Vogel (Ed.), Ancient African metallurgy: The sociocultural context (pp. 1–81)Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press.Google Scholar
- MacDonald, K. C. (1994). Socio-economic diversity and the origins of cultural complexity along the Middle Niger (2000 BC and AD 300). Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Cambridge University.Google Scholar
- McIntosh, R. J. (1998). The peoples of the Middle Niger.Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- McIntosh, R. J. (2005). Ancient Middle Niger: Urbanism and the self-organizing landscape. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Raimbault, M., & Sanogo, K. (Eds.), (1991). Recherches Archéologiques au Mali: les sites protohistoriques de la zone lacustre. Paris: ACCT-Karthala.Google Scholar
- Togola, T. (1997). Mali: The inland Delta and the manding mountains. In C. D. Ardouin (Ed.), Museums and archaeology in West Africa (pp. 59–67). Washington/London: Smithsonian/James Currey.Google Scholar
- Togola, T. (2004). Sauvegarde et Valorisation du Patrimoine au Mali: Bref Aperçu Historique. In K. Sanogo, & T. Togola (Eds.), XIème Congrès de l’Association Panafricaine de Préhistoire et Disciplines Assimilées, Bamako, 7–12 Février 2001: ACTES (pp. 455–461). Bamako: Soro Print Color.Google Scholar