Rectal Perforation, Retropneumoperitoneum, and Pneumomediastinum After Stapling Procedure for Prolapsed Hemorrhoids
- 73 Downloads
Stapling procedure is a new technique for the surgical management of third-degree hemorrhoids. Even if long-term experience has not been reported, this new technique is generating a lot of interest and its use is becoming more common in Europe. Some articles have just been published about severe adverse effects of this operation, and in the present article we describe a case of a life-threatening complication that occurred with the use of the stapling technique for hemorrhoidectomy. A patient with perineal descensus and third-degree hemorrhoids underwent a stapling procedure for the treatment of hemorrhoids. Retropneumoperitoneum and pneumomediastinum developed on postoperative Day 2 and a colostomy was performed, allowing a quick recovery of the patient. After six months the colostomy was closed and bowel function restored. Our experience, taken together with some other cases previously published of severe complications after such an operation, suggests caution in the use of this new technique for the treatment of a benign disease.
KeywordsHemorrhoid surgery complications Retropneumoperitoneum Stapling procedure for prolapsed hemorrhoids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pescatori, M, Favetta, U, Dedola, S, Orsini, S 1997Transanal stapled excision of rectal mucosal prolapseTech Coloproct19698Google Scholar
- 2.Papillon, M, Arnaud, JP, Descottes, B, Gravie, JF, Huten, X, De Manzini, N 1999Le traitement de la maladie hémorroïdaire par la technique de LongoChirurgie124666669Google Scholar
- 3.Mehigan, BJ, Monson, JR, Hartley, JE 2000Stapling procedure for haemorrhoids versus Milligan-Morgan haemorrhoidectomyLancet355782785Google Scholar
- 4.Pescatori, M, Quondamcarlo, C 1999Prevention of intraoperative complications during stapled excision of rectal mucosal prolapseTech Coloproct3103104Google Scholar
- 5.Molloy, RG, Kingsmore, D 2000Life threatening pelvic sepsis after stapled haemorrhoidectomyLancet355810104Google Scholar
- 6.Roos, P 2000Haemorrhoid surgery revised [letter]Lancet3551648104Google Scholar
- 7.Fazio, VW 2000Early promise of stapling technique for haemorrhoidectomyLancet355768769Google Scholar