First live offspring of Amazonian brown brocket deer (Mazama nemorivaga) born by artificial insemination
The Amazonian brown brocket deer (Mazama nemorivaga) is an endemic species of the Amazon rainforest region, which has suffered constant threats due to hunting and increasing deforestation. Artificial insemination (AI), combined with genomic banks, is considered an important tool for maintaining conservation programs of endangered species; however, the number of live offspring born from AI in non-domesticated cervids is extremely low. Thus, studies designed to develop, adapt, or enhance AI techniques are of fundamental importance. This report describes a successful transposition of the cervix with semen deposition in the uterine lumen of a M. nemorivaga female, based on the transcervical AI technique used in sheep, as well as using specific tools develop for IA in small ruminants, which have resulted in the birth of a healthy male fawn.
KeywordsTranscervical insemination Cervical traction Neotropical deer
Compliance with ethical standards
All experimental procedures were compliant with the guidelines on the Ethics and Animal Welfare and had been approved by the College of Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences (FCAV) Animal Care Committee, São Paulo State University, Jaboticabal, SP, Brazil (protocol no. 000180/11).
- Drion PV, Hanzen C, Wirth D et al (2003) Physiologie de la reproduction et endocrinologie chez les cervidés: une revue. Ann Med Vet 147:291–313Google Scholar
- Duarte JMB, Garcia JM (1995) Reprodução assistida em cervídeos brasileiros. Rev Bras Repr Anim 19:111–121Google Scholar
- Oliveira MEF, Fonseca JF (2013) Inseminação artificial. In: Oliveira MEF, Teixeira PPM, Vicente WRR (eds) Biotécnicas reprodutivas em ovinos e caprinos. Editora Med Vet, São Paulo, pp 91–102Google Scholar
- Pereira RJG, Zanetti ES, Polegato BF (2010) Femele reprodution. In: Duarte JMB, González S (eds) Neotropical cervidology. Funep, Jaboticabal, pp 51–63Google Scholar
- Peroni EFC (2013) Inseminação artificial intrauterina por videolaparoscopia em veado catingueiro (Mazama gouazoubira), com sêmen congelado. São Paulo State University, Masters DissertationGoogle Scholar
- Rossi RV, Duarte JMB (2008) Mazama nemorivaga. IUCN 2013. IUCN Red List of threatened species. Version 2013.2. http://www.iucnredlist.org. Accessed 22 November 2013
- Rossi RV, Bodmer R, Duarte JMB, Trovati RG (2010) Amazonian brown brocket deer Mazama nemorivaga (Cuvier 1817). In: Duarte JMB, González S (eds) Neotropical cervidology. Funep, 210, p 202Google Scholar
- Wildt DE (1989) Reproductive research in conservation biology: priorities and avenues for support. J Zoo Wild Med 20:391–395Google Scholar
- Zanetti ES, Polegato BF, Duarte JMB (2009) Primeiro relato de inseminação artificial com tempo-fixo em veado-mateiro (Mazama americana). In: Anais XVIII Congresso Brasileiro de Reprodução AnimalGoogle Scholar