Prediction of Fatigue Lives of RC Beams Strengthened with CFL Under Random Loading
The investigation on fatigue lives of reinforced concrete (RC) structures strengthened with fiber laminate under random loading is important for the repairing or the strengthening of bridges and the safety of the traffic. In this paper, two methods are developed for predicting the fatigue lives of RC structures strengthened with carbon fiber laminate (CFL) under random loading based on a residual life and a residual strength model. To discuss the efficiency of the model, 12 RC beams strengthened with CFL are tested under random loading by the MTS810 testing system. The predicted residual strength approximately agrees with test results.
Key Wordscarbon fiber laminate predicted method fatigue life random load RC structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arockiasamy, M., Thayer, C.C. and Dutta, P.K., Damage process of CFRP composites-concrete interface under fatigue loading at low temperatures. Proceedings of the Eighth International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, 1998, Vol.4: 211–218.Google Scholar
- Masoud, S.G. and Soudki, K.A., Behaviour of corroded reinforced concrete beams strengthened with CFRP sheets under fatigue loading. Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures, 2000: 767–774.Google Scholar
- Lopez, M.M., Naaman, A.E., Pinkerton, L. and Till, R.D., Behavior of RC beams strengthened with FRP laminates and tested under cyclic loading at low temperatures. FRP Composites in civil engineering, Vols.I and II, Proceedings, 2001: 415–422.Google Scholar
- Wight, R.G. and Erki, M.A., Prestressed CFRP sheets for strengthening concrete slabs in fatigue. FRP Composites in civil engineering, Vols.I and II, Proceedings, 2001: 1093–1100.Google Scholar
- Huang, P.Y., Luo, L.F. and Zhang, G.S., An experimental study on the load bearing capacity of carbon fiber-sheet-re inforced concrete 3-point bending specimen with a V-notch. Journal of Experimental Mechanics, 2001, 16: 250–255 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Huang, P.Y., Jin, M. and Luo, L.F., Effect of length of carbon fiber-sheet on the stress field of the reinforced concrete 3-point bending specimen with a V-notch. Acta Mechnica Solida Sinica, 2002, 23: 79–83 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Huang, P.Y., Huang, L.T. and Luo, Y., An experimental study on the load-carrying capacity of fiber-sheet-reinforced RC beam with a V-notch. Journal of Experimental Mechnics, 2003, 18: 171–176 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Huang, P.Y., Zhao, C. and Zheng, X.H., Fatigue testing method for RC beams strengthened with carbon fiber sheet under random load. CONSEC’04, Seoul, Corea, 2004, Jun (to be published).Google Scholar
- Huang, P.Y., Niu, P.Z. and Yao, G.W., Fatigue strength of reinforced concrete beams strengthened with carbon fiber sheet under bending load. CONSEC’04, Seoul, Corea, 2004, Jun (to be published).Google Scholar
- Niu, P.Z., Study on Flexural Fatigue Properties of RC Beams Strengthened with CFL. Guangzhou: South China University of Technology, 2006.Google Scholar
- Lin, R.W., The Methods for Predicting Fatigue Lives of RC Beams Strengthened with CFL under random loads. Guangzhou: South China University of Technology, 2005.Google Scholar