Stochastic Optimal Control of Strongly Nonlinear Systems under Wide-Band Random Excitation with Actuator Saturation
A bounded optimal control strategy for strongly non-linear systems under non-white wide-band random excitation with actuator saturation is proposed. First, the stochastic averaging method is introduced for controlled strongly non-linear systems under wide-band random excitation using generalized harmonic functions. Then, the dynamical programming equation for the saturated control problem is formulated from the partially averaged Itô equation based on the dynamical programming principle. The optimal control consisting of the unbounded optimal control and the bounded bang-bang control is determined by solving the dynamical programming equation. Finally, the response of the optimally controlled system is predicted by solving the reduced Fokker-Planck-Kolmogorov (FPK) equation associated with the completed averaged Itô equation. An example is given to illustrate the proposed control strategy. Numerical results show that the proposed control strategy has high control effectiveness and efficiency and the chattering is reduced significantly comparing with the bang-bang control strategy.
Key wordsnonlinear system optimal control actuator saturation stochastic averaging wide-band random excitation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Yang, J.N., Li, Z. and Vongchavalitkul, S., A generalization of optimal control theory: linear and nonlinear control. Journal of Engineering Mechanics—American Society of Civil Engineers, 1994, 120: 266–283.Google Scholar
- Flemin, W.H. and Soner, H.M., Controlled Markov Processes and Viscosity Solutions. New York: Springer, 1992.Google Scholar
- Deng, M.L., Hong, M.C. and Zhu, W.Q., Stochastic optimal control for the response of quasi non-integrable Hamiltonian systems. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 2003, 16(4): 313–320.Google Scholar
- Deng, M.L., Hong, M.C. and Zhu, W.Q., Control for minimizing the response of non-linear system under wide-band excitation. Journal of Vibration Engineering, 2004, 17: 1–6 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Zhu, W.Q., Nonlinear Stochastic Dynamics and Control: A Framework of Hamiltonian Theory. Beijing: Science Press, 2003 (in Chinese).Google Scholar