Experimental researches on magneto-thermo-mechanical characterization of Terfenol-D
The coupling effects of axial pre-stress, temperature and magnetic field on magnetostrictive strain and magnetization as well as Young’s modulus of a Terfenol-D (Tb0.3Dy0.7Fe1.93) rod are tested to give a good understanding of magneto-thermal-mechanical characteristics of giant magnetostrictive materials. Results show that magneto-thermo-mechanical coupling of giant magnetostrictive materials is very strong; and the influences of pre-stress and temperature on magnetostrictive strain and Young’s modulus vary with the intensity of magnetic field.
Key wordsgaint magnetostrictive material Young’s modulus magneto-thermo-mechanical characterization magnetostrictive strain magnetization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Zhou, Y.H. and Zheng, X.J., A variational principle on magnetoelastic interaction of ferromagnetic thin plates. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 1997, 10(1): 1–10.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Y.H., Gao, Y.W. and Zheng, X.J., Perturbation analysis for magnetoplastic instability of ferromagnetic beamplates with geometric imperfection. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 2004, 17(4): 297–306.Google Scholar
- Zheng, X.J., Zhou, H.M. and Zhou, Y.H., Simultaneous measurements of the magnetostrictive coefficient, Young’s modulus and Poisson ratio of the thin film considering the thickness of film. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 2006, 27(2): 116–120 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Sun, L., Liu, X.E. and Zheng, X.J., Numerical Simulation of Magnetostrictive Film-Substrate Microactuators. Chinese Journal of Applied Mechanics, 2004, 21(2): 41–45.Google Scholar
- Peng, B., Zhang, W.L., Zhang, W.X., Jiang, H.C. and Yang, S.Q., Finite element simulations of the magnetostrictive film. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 2006, 27(3): 288–292 (in Chinese).Google Scholar