Elastic behavior analysis of 3D angle-interlock woven ceramic composites
A micromechanical model for elastic behavior analysis of angle-interlock woven ceramic composites is proposed in this paper. This model takes into account the actual fabric structure by considering the fiber undulation and continuity in space, the cavities between adjacent yarns and the actual cross-section geometry of the yarn. Based on the laminate theory, the elastic properties of 3D angle-interlock woven ceramic composites are predicted. Different numbers of interlaced wefts have almost the same elastic moduli. The thickness of ceramic matrix has little effect on elastic moduli. When the undulation ratio increases longitudinal modulus decreases and the other Young’s moduli increase. Good agreement between theoretical predictions and experimental results demonstrates the feasibility of the proposed model in analyzing the elastic properties of 3D angle-interlock woven ceramic composites. The results of this paper verify the fact that the method of analyzing polyester matrix composites is suitable for woven ceramic composites.
Key words3D angle-interlock woven ceramic composites elastic properties geometric parameters
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chou, T.W. and Ishikawa, T., Textile Structural Composites, Elsevier Science Publishers, 1989, 209–264.Google Scholar
- Whitcomb, J.D., Composite Materials: Fatigue and Fracture, ASTM STP 1100 (O’Brien, T.K. ed.), Vol.3, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, 1991, 417–438.Google Scholar
- Raju, I.S., Craft, W.J. and Avva, V.S., Advances in Structural Testing, Analysis and Design, ICSTAD Proceedings, Vol.1, New Delphi: Tata-McGraw Hill, 1990, 3–10.Google Scholar
- Yi, H.L. and Ding, X., A model to predict elastic properties of 3D woven composites, Acta Mechanica Sinica, Vol.35, No.5, 2003, 569–577 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Ding, X. and Yi, H.L., Proc. of the 6th Asian Textile Conference (CD Version), 2001, No.103.Google Scholar
- Wang, B. and Jiao, G.Q., et al., Flexure property analysis of three-dimensional braided composite, Acta Mechanica Solid Sinica, Vol.25, No.1, 2004, 75–79 (in Chinese).Google Scholar