An analytical solution for three-dimensional diffraction of plane P-waves by a hemispherical alluvial valley with saturated soil deposits
An analytical solution for the three-dimensional scattering and diffraction of plane P-waves by a hemispherical alluvial valley with saturated soil deposits is developed by employing Fourier-Bessel series expansion technique. Unlike previous studies, in which the saturated soil deposits were simulated with the single-phase elastic theory, in this paper, they are simulated with Biot’s dynamic theory for saturated porous media, and the half space is assumed as a single-phase elastic medium. The effects of the dimensionless frequency, the incidence angle of P-wave and the porosity of soil deposits on the surface displacement magnifications of the hemispherical alluvial valley are investigated. Numerical results show that the existence of a saturated hemispherical alluvial valley has much influence on the surface displacement magnifications. It is more reasonable to simulate soil deposits with Biot’s dynamic theory when evaluating the displacement responses of a hemispherical alluvial valley with an incidence of P-waves.
Key wordsBiot’s dynamic theory three-dimensional scattering hemispherical alluvial valley analytical solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Singh, S.K., Mena, E. and Castro, R., Some aspects of source characteristics of the 19 September 1985 Michoacan earthquake and ground motion amplification in and near Mexico City from strong motion data, Bulletin of Seismological Society of America, Vol.78, No.2, 1988, 451–477.Google Scholar
- Wong, H.L. and Trifunac, M.D., Surface motion of semi-elliptical alluvial valley for incident plane SH waves, Bulletin of Seismological Society of America, Vol.64, No.1, 1974, 1389–1408.Google Scholar
- Mow, C.C. and Pao, Y.H., The diffraction of elastic waves and dynamics stress concentrations, Rand report, R-482-PR, New York, 1971.Google Scholar
- Li, W.H. and Zhao, C.G., Scattering of plane P waves in alluvial valleys with saturated soil deposits, Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.25, No.3, 2003, 346–351 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Lee, V.W., Displacements near a three-dimensional hemispherical canyon subjected to incident plane waves, Report No.CE 78-16, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, 1978.Google Scholar
- Dong, J. Study on the three-dimensional scattering and diffraction of plane-waves by irregular local sites with saturated soil, Master Dissertation (Supervisor: Zhao Chenggang), Beijing: Beijing Jiaotong Unversity, 2005 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Li, L. and Zhao, C.G., Equations of wave propagation with mass-coupling effect in fluid-saturated porous media, Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, Vol.24, No.2, 2003, 243–248 (in Chinese).Google Scholar