Layered Double Hydroxides as a Coating for the Determination of Phthalate Esters in Aqueous Solution with Solid-Phase Microextraction Followed by Gas Chromatography
- 191 Downloads
In this study, magnesium/aluminum-layered double hydroxide (Mg/Al-LDH) was prepared with the hydrothermal method and the morphological features of Mg/Al-LDH were characterized. The as-prepared Mg/Al-LDH was employed as a coating material and coated on the stainless steel wire to construct a solid-phase microextraction fiber. To evaluate the extraction performance of the fiber, four phthalate esters including benzyl butyl phthalate, di-n-butyl phthalate, di-n-octyl phthalate and bis (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate were selected as model compounds. Several experimental parameters affecting the extraction efficiency, such as extraction temperature, extraction time and ionic strength, were optimized. Under the optimum conditions, linear ranges of 1–400 μg L−1 for di-n-butyl phthalate, 10–500 μg L−1 for di-n-octyl phthalate and 10–400 μg L−1 for two other compounds were observed. The limits of detection and limits of quantification ranged from 0.24 to 2.31 μg L−1 and 0.81 to 7.69 μg L−1, respectively. The intra-day and inter-day precision are less than 15.3 and 8.7%. The relative standard deviation of fiber to fiber reproducibility ranged from 8.3 to 16.7%. Finally, the established method was satisfactorily applied to the determination of phthalate esters in the Yangtze River water samples and the recoveries were 76.1–110.6%.
KeywordsGas chromatography Solid-phase microextraction Layered double hydroxides Phthalate esters
This work was supported by the Anhui Normal University.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
Author Fengqin Wang declares that she has no conflict of interest. Author Jing Li declares that she has no conflict of interest. Author Jian-Feng Wu declares that he has no conflict of interest. Author Guang-Chao Zhao declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Wang F, Liu Y, Tang Z, Hou M, Wang C, Wang X, Wang Q, Xiao Q (2017) Simultaneous determination of 15 phthalate esters in commercial beverages using dispersive liquid–liquid microextraction coupled to gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. Anal Methods 9(12):1912–1919. https://doi.org/10.1039/c7ay00123a CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Liang W, Wang J, Zang X, Wang C, Wang Z (2016) A porous carbon derived from amino-functionalized material of Institut Lavoisier as a solid-phase microextraction fiber coating for the extraction of phthalate esters from tea. J Sep Sci 39(7):1331–1338. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201501290 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Liu H, Cui K, Zeng F, Chen L, Cheng Y, Li H, Li S, Zhou X, Zhu F, Ouyang G, Luan T, Zeng Z (2014) Occurrence and distribution of phthalate esters in riverine sediments from the Pearl River Delta region, South China. Mar Pollut Bull 83(1):358–365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2014.03.038 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.National Primary Drinking Water Regulations, Federal Register, Part 12, 40 CFR Part 141. US EPA, Washington DC395, 1991Google Scholar
- 7.The national standard of the People’s Republic of China, GB/T 5749—2006, Standards for drinking water qualityGoogle Scholar
- 9.Yang R, Liu Y, Yan X, Liu S (2016) Simultaneous extraction and determination of phthalate esters in aqueous solution by yolk-shell magnetic mesoporous carbon-molecularly imprinted composites based on solid-phase extraction coupled with gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. Talanta 161:114–121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2016.08.037 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Razavi N, Sarafraz Yazdi A (2017) New application of chitosan-grafted polyaniline in dispersive solid-phase extraction for the separation and determination of phthalate esters in milk using high-performance liquid chromatography. J Sep Sci 40(8):1739–1746. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201601059 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Yue M-E, Lin Q, Li Q, Xu J, Jiang T-F (2017) Determination of PAEs by integrative coupling method of headspace in-tube microextraction and reverse-flow micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography. Food Anal Methods 10(11):3565–3571. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-017-0917-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Guiñez M, Martinez LD, Fernandez L, Cerutti S (2017) Dispersive liquid–liquid microextraction based on solidification of floating organic drop and fluorescence detection for the determination of nitrated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in aqueous samples. Microchem J 131:1–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2016.10.020 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Montevecchi G, Masino F, Zanasi L, Antonelli A (2017) Determination of phthalate esters in distillates by ultrasound-vortex-assisted dispersive liquid–liquid micro-extraction (USVADLLME) coupled with gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Food Chem 221:1354–1360. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.11.019 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Wang Q, Zhu L, Chen M, Ma X, Wang X, Xia J (2017) Simultaneously determination of bisphenol A and its alternatives in sediment by ultrasound-assisted and solid phase extractions followed by derivatization using GC–MS. Chemosphere 169:709–715. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2016.11.095 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Song XL, Chen Y, Yuan JP, Qin YJ, Zhao RS, Wang X (2016) Carbon nanotube composite microspheres as a highly efficient solid-phase microextraction coating for sensitive determination of phthalate acid esters in water samples. J Chromatogr A 1468:17–22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2016.09.030 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Amanzadeh H, Yamini Y, Moradi M, Asl YA (2016) Determination of phthalate esters in drinking water and edible vegetable oil samples by headspace solid phase microextraction using graphene/polyvinylchloride nanocomposite coated fiber coupled to gas chromatography-flame ionization detector. J Chromatogr A 1465:38–46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2016.08.068 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Zhou X, Shao X, Shu JJ, Liu MM, Liu HL, Feng XH, Liu F (2012) Thermally stable ionic liquid-based sol–gel coating for ultrasonic extraction–solid-phase microextraction–gas chromatography determination of phthalate esters in agricultural plastic films. Talanta 89:129–135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2011.12.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Abolghasemi MM, Yousefi V, Piryaei M (2015) Synthesis of carbon nanotube/layered double hydroxide nanocomposite as a novel fiber coating for the headspace solid-phase microextraction of phenols from water samples. J Sep Sci 38(8):1344–1350. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201401191 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Matin AA, Biparva P, Amanzadeh H, Farhadi K (2013) Zinc/aluminum layered double hydroxide-titanium dioxide composite nanosheet film as novel solid phase microextraction fiber for the gas chromatographic determination of valproic acid. Talanta 103:207–213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2012.10.034 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Liu YL, Zhou JB, Zhao RS, Chen XF (2012) Using Zn/Al layered double hydroxide as a novel solid-phase extraction adsorbent to extract polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons at trace levels in water samples prior to the determination of gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. Anal Bioanal Chem 404(5):1603–1610. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-012-6219-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Chuang Y-H, Liu C-H, Tzou Y-M, Chang J-S, Chiang P-N, Wang M-K (2010) Comparison and characterization of chemical surfactants and bio-surfactants intercalated with layered double hydroxides (LDHs) for removing naphthalene from contaminated aqueous solutions. Colloids Surf A 366(1–3):170–177. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2010.06.009 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Sun H, Chu Z, Hong D, Zhang G, Xie Y, Li L, Shi K (2016) Three-dimensional hierarchical flower-like Mg–Al-layered double hydroxides: fabrication, characterization and enhanced sensing properties to NOx at room temperature. J Alloys Compd 658:561–568. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2015.10.237 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Arghavani-Beydokhti S, Rajabi M, Asghari A (2017) Combination of magnetic dispersive micro solid-phase extraction and supramolecular solvent-based microextraction followed by high-performance liquid chromatography for determination of trace amounts of cholesterol-lowering drugs in complicated matrices. Anal Bioanal Chem 409(18):4395–4407. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-017-0383-x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 41.Ghiasvand A, Dowlatshah S, Nouraei N, Heidari N, Yazdankhah F (2015) A solid-phase microextraction platinized stainless steel fiber coated with a multiwalled carbon nanotube-polyaniline nanocomposite film for the extraction of thymol and carvacrol in medicinal plants and honey. J Chromatogr A 1406:87–93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2015.06.052 CrossRefGoogle Scholar