Seroprevalence of Japanese encephalitis virus infection in captive Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata)
- 289 Downloads
Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV), which is transmitted by mosquitoes, infects many animal species and causes serious acute encephalitis in humans and horses. In this study, a serosurvey of JEV in Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata) reared in Aichi Prefecture was conducted using purified JEV as an antigen for ELISA. The results revealed that 146 of 332 monkeys (44 %) were seropositive for JEV. In addition, 35 of 131 monkeys (27 %) born in the facility were seropositive, and the annual infection rate in the facility was estimated as 13 %. Our results provide evidence of the frequent exposure of many Japanese macaques to JEV, suggesting that there is a risk of JEV transmission to humans by mosquitoes.
KeywordsELISA Japanese encephalitis virus Macaca fuscata Monkeys
This work was supported by a Grant-in-Aid for a Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Fellowship and a grant from the Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare of Japan (H20-Shinko-Ippan-003).
- Mackenzie JS, Chua KB, Daniels PW, Eaton BT, Field HE, Hall RA, Halpin K, Johansen CA, Kirkland PD, Lam SK, McMinn P, Nisbet DJ, Paru R, Pyke AT, Ritchie SA, Siba P, Smith DW, Smith GA, van den Hurk AF, Wang LF, Williams DT (2001) Emerging viral diseases of Southeast Asia and the Western Pacific. Emerg Infect Dis 7:497–504PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Marassa AM, Paula MB, Gomes AC (2009) Biotin-avidin sandwich ELISA with specific human isotypes IgG1 and IgG4 for culicidae mosquito blood meal identification from an epizootic yellow fever area in Brazil. J Venom Anim Toxins Incl Trop Dis 15:696–706Google Scholar
- Nakgoi K, Nitatpattana N, Wajjwalku W, Pongsopawijit P, Kaewchot S, Yoksan S, Siripolwat V, Souris M, Gonzalez JP (2014) Dengue, Japanese encephalitis and Chikungunya virus antibody prevalence among captive monkey (Macaca nemestrina) colonies of Northern Thailand. Am J Primatol 76:97–102PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nerome R, Tajima S, Takasaki T, Yoshida T, Kotaki A, Lim CK, Ito M, Sugiyama A, Yamauchi A, Yano T, Kameyama T, Morishita I, Kuwayama M, Ogawa T, Sahara K, Ikegaya A, Kanda M, Hosoya Y, Itokazu K, Onishi H, Chiya S, Yoshida Y, Tabei Y, Katsuki K, Tabata K, Harada S, Kurane I (2007) Molecular epidemiological analyses of Japanese encephalitis virus isolates from swine in Japan from 2002 to 2004. J Gen Virol 88:2762–2768PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shimoda H, Inthong N, Noguchi K, Terada Y, Nagao Y, Shimojima M, Takasaki T, Rerkamnuaychoke W, Maeda K (2013) Development and application of an indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for serological survey of Japanese encephalitis virus infection in dogs. J Virol Methods 187:85–89PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar