Citrate-modified Mg–Al layered double hydroxides for efficient removal of lead from water
- 92 Downloads
Lead contamination is a threat for the environment and human health due to lead non-degradability and non-detoxification. Therefore, methods for efficient removal of lead from contaminated waters are needed. Here, a novel material has been synthesised by surface functionalization of magnesium–aluminum layered double hydroxide with citrate (citric-LDH) and applied to the efficient removal of lead from aqueous solutions. Effects of ionic strength and temperature on the adsorption have been evaluated. Results show that lead adsorption by citric-LDH can be used for lead pollution cleanup. Adsorption kinetics were simulated using a revised model. Simulation results show that citric-LDH adsorb lead ions through a more efficient and time-dependent pathway, leading to the rapid and efficient removal of lead ions.
KeywordsLead ion removal Citric modified Layered double hydroxides Adsorption kinetic equation Wastewater Layer insertion
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (91326202, 21577032), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (2016ZZD06, JB2016166).
- Cai F, Wang Q, Chen X, Qiu W, Zhan F, Gao F, Wang Q (2017) Selective binding of Pb2+ with manganese-terephthalic acid MOF/SWCNTs: theoretical modeling, experimental study and electroanalytical application. Biosens Bioelectron 98:310–316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2017.07.007 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li J, Fan QH, Wu YJ, Wang XX, Chen CL, Tang ZY, Wang XK (2016) Magnetic polydopamine decorated with Mg–Al LDH nanoflakes as a novel bio-based adsorbent for simultaneous removal of potentially toxic metals and anionic dyes. J Mater Chem A 4(5):1737–1746. https://doi.org/10.1039/C5TA09132B CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Masoumeh M, Ali M, Ali J, Yasamin B, Mohammad Reza N (2018) Preconcentration and extraction of lead ions in vegetable and water samples by N-doped carbon quantum dot conjugated with Fe3O4 as a green and facial adsorbent. Food Chem 239:1019–1026. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.07.042 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pavlovic I, Pérez MR et al (2009) Adsorption of Cu2+, Cd2+ and Pb2+ ions by layered double hydroxides intercalated with the chelation agents diethylenetriaminepenttaacetate and meso-2,3-dimercaptosuccinate. Appl Clay Sci 43(1):125–129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2008.07.020 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zatsepin DA, Boukhvalov DW, Gavrilov NV, Zatsepin AF, Shur VY, Esin AA, Kim SS, Kurmaev EZ (2017) Soft electronic structure modulation of surface (thin-film) and bulk (ceramics) morphologies of TiO2-host by Pb-implantation: XPS-and-DFT characterization. Appl Surf Sci 400:110–117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2016.09.009 CrossRefGoogle Scholar